Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

I will probably stick mine into black bin liners and stick it in the black wheelie bin where it can go for landfill and produce methane for the next decade or so.

I will do the same, or compost what i can, unless any other suggestions??

If the role of the state and role of local government is minimised due to funding reductions, as per Coalition dogma, then what do you expect?

Do you not want private business to profit from providing services? And why should the large number of householders in Sheffield who live in flats or terraced houses without large enough gardens to generate a significant amount of garden waste subsidise those that do?

Having your cake and eating it springs to mind.

I think you need to check your facts a bit here.

The reason why councils introduced recycling in the first place is to meet targets set by the government and the EU.

It is outlined her

"Moving away from landfill"

Most of the UK‟s waste is currently buried in landfill sites, which release climate change gases and pollute the soil and water. EU law means we have to dramatically reduce the amount of biodegradable waste we landfill.

Councils must meet targets for reducing the amount of biodegradable waste they send to landfill or they face big fines under the Landfill Allowance Trading Scheme (LATS). In the face of LATS and increasing landfill prices, councils are scrambling to find alternative ways to deal with our rubbish, such as incineration.

However, the most effective and sustainable way councils can divert waste from landfill is to implement a really effective kerbside recycling and composting collection scheme.""

The council has to pick and choose how it allocates funds and in this case subsidised garden waste collection is not a priority.

It probably will be if they get fined for missing EU targets for recycling.

Edited by wellyman

Ours is still collected at present but if not then we'd either compost it or take it to a recycle depot.

I suppose if a person were that way inclined they could collect from neighbours with a view to make and sell compost; don't know what it goes for but any additional income would be welcome.

Last week I put out our green waste bin to recycle our garden waste. When I returned home the green bin had gone. Part of the Labour Council's cuts was to do away with the green waste recycling collection. Now Veolia have offered to collect our green waste on a handful of occassions for a fee of £57.60. Needless to say I've declined their offer.

So Sheffielders with gardens. What do you intend to do with your green waste now that the council have introduced this "garden tax"?

I will probably stick mine into black bin liners and stick it in the black wheelie bin where it can go for landfill and produce methane for the next decade or so.

I compost the majority of my garden waste but for those who can't yes they will have to put it in the black bin or take it to the tip. For information the contents of the black bins are burnt in the incinerator so doesn't go into landfill !

Ours is still collected at present but if not then we'd either compost it or take it to a recycle depot.

I suppose if a person were that way inclined they could collect from neighbours with a view to make and sell compost; don't know what it goes for but any additional income would be welcome.

Thats a good idea, but if the council found out they would probably come up with some business tax for you to pay.

You will be able to recycle your green waste using Veolia's Clear Sack Collection Service. Basically, any householder can purchase sacks at £1.20 each, up to 100 at a time. Once these are filled then you contact Veolia who will collect them. Full details here: Veolia.

As someone else has pointed out, savings to balance the swingeing cuts from the Lib Dem / Conservative government had to be found somewhere.

You will be able to recycle your green waste using Veolia's Clear Sack Collection Service. Basically, any householder can purchase sacks at £1.20 each, up to 100 at a time. Once these are filled then you contact Veolia who will collect them. Full details here: Veolia.

But they will charge you for collecting the bags as well.

As someone else has pointed out, savings to balance the swingeing cuts from the Lib Dem / Conservative government had to be found somewhere.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of that service and we will certainly be taking advantage of it.

We already pay 10% of our income in council tax, so it's not worth worrying about another £10 every couple of weeks during the summer months. We're all in this together. :hihi:

How much do they charge for collecting the bags ?

The £1.20 includes collection.

I think you need to check your facts a bit here.

The reason why councils introduced recycling in the first place is to meet targets set by the government and the EU.

It is outlined her

"Moving away from landfill"

Most of the UK‟s waste is currently buried in landfill sites, which release climate change gases and pollute the soil and water. EU law means we have to dramatically reduce the amount of biodegradable waste we landfill.

Councils must meet targets for reducing the amount of biodegradable waste they send to landfill or they face big fines under the Landfill Allowance Trading Scheme (LATS). In the face of LATS and increasing landfill prices, councils are scrambling to find alternative ways to deal with our rubbish, such as incineration.

However, the most effective and sustainable way councils can divert waste from landfill is to implement a really effective kerbside recycling and composting collection scheme.""

It probably will be if they get fined for missing EU targets for recycling.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Hitting EU targets is not completely dependent on subsidised roadside garden waste collection. Take for example subsidised recycling products offered by Sheffield City Council:

http://www.sheffield.getcomposting.com/

And other facilities for recycling garden waste, like at Blackstock Lane.

If people have a large amount of garden waste the £57 a year is not that much really. Cheaper than a skip ;)

Thats a good idea, but if the council found out they would probably come up with some business tax for you to pay.

Hmmm! Isn't there a loophole we could exploit (legally).