Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

keep your green bin,as a good compost bin,just 2 drainholes in the bottom and 2 each side top and middle half inch. put in all kichenwaste from veg peelings eggshells fruit skins, grass cuttings all rabbithutch and guinie pig waste, saw dust,contents of your vac cleaner,fill it up then next spring tip it on your borders.

The green bin collection is £57.60 for a fortnightly service for six months or thereabouts the green sacks are £1.20 each, If you have four sacks collected every two weeks, for the six months it would cost the same as a green bin. (I've not seen the size of the green sacks though but I imagine four sacks could be the same volume as a green bin)

I think the fact that you have to buy 10 at a time by phone giving card details and then any you dont use before October is not an inclusive arrangement. I think if you could buy them in cash from the library it would have been a fairer system.

What I really object to though, is the fact that they say no soil or mulch. Most of the green rubbish belongs to the council's tree outside my house, so I'm less inclined to cough up the payment.

Last week I put out our green waste bin to recycle our garden waste. When I returned home the green bin had gone. Part of the Labour Council's cuts was to do away with the green waste recycling collection. Now Veolia have offered to collect our green waste on a handful of occassions for a fee of £57.60. Needless to say I've declined their offer.

So Sheffielders with gardens. What do you intend to do with your green waste now that the council have introduced this "garden tax"?

I will probably stick mine into black bin liners and stick it in the black wheelie bin where it can go for landfill and produce methane for the next decade or so.

The Council have not introduced any tax. They've abandoned green waste collection altogether - at least in our part of the city; in some parts of the city there never was a green waste collection.

If the role of the state and role of local government is minimised due to funding reductions, as per Coalition dogma, then what do you expect?

Do you not want private business to profit from providing services? And why should the large number of householders in Sheffield who live in flats or terraced houses without large enough gardens to generate a significant amount of garden waste subsidise those that do?

Having your cake and eating it springs to mind.

I compost all our green waste, why give it away to be composted and sold.

If the role of the state and role of local government is minimised due to funding reductions, as per Coalition dogma, then what do you expect?

Do you not want private business to profit from providing services? And why should the large number of householders in Sheffield who live in flats or terraced houses without large enough gardens to generate a significant amount of garden waste subsidise those that do?

That's ok. I remember the council intoducing recycling as part of its green credentials claim. Obviously not the current council. No one in council flats is subsidising anything. The idea of council tax bands is supposed to take care of that.

But I am happy to stick my green waste in the black bin. The council will still have to pay to shift it. They will just have to pay a bit more as the bin wagons will need to head for the dump a bit more often, and our lawn will end up in lanfill rather than grow bags.

So do you think that they will knock off the blue bin collections so that folk will once again chuck their paper, plastic and glass bottles into the lanfill site as well.

And why should the large number of householders in Sheffield who live in flats or terraced houses without large enough gardens to generate a significant amount of garden waste subsidise those that do?

Would you suggest that we resurrect the idea of a "poll tax"?

One person, one tax, no deferential in public sector services?

Best idea ever, people use council services, not houses. :)

That wouldn't be a poll tax. A poll tax, by definition, is a tax on your right to vote. A council charge would be payable whether you're entitled to vote or not, and you wouldn't lose your entitlement to vote by not paying it. (Though you might end up in jail.)

I don't think a flat tax is the answer. It's patently unfair and regressive.

It's a tricky issue to solve. Remember the existing council tax regime only part funds local services. The remainder of funding has been cut so there is less money available to spend. The council has to pick and choose how it allocates funds and in this case subsidised garden waste collection is not a priority.

I can only think of 4 solutions:

1. Black bin

2. Bonfires

3. Trip to the tip

4. Compost

4. is the most desired solution of couse, and if possible, but we already compost as much as we can with our 6 bays, more than we can usefully use in fact. I think 3. is environmentally insane, so I am left with 1. and 2.

I hate bonfires, but usually have to have at least one/two a year with woody waste. With the removal of the green bags service I might have to have two/three a year.

If we were offered a green bin for £57.60 we would take it, but we haven't even been offered.