15 and desperate for a job.

im 15, 16 in july and i really need a job! iv asked around and its useless! you cant really babysit unless you know the person and they trust you, you cant work in shops, you cant do anything these days! iv got two paper rounds and there killing me! iv only got time to work on weekends and paper rounds are such a drag! if anyone could please help me it would be very much appreciated!

No chance - you'll want to do some volunteering or something first to gain experience, jobs are scarce and many employers are unwilling to hire students/teenagers. Unless you know someone who can get a good word in for you - not going to lie - your chances of getting a job are really slim, especially at 15!

HappyHours.. at your age it may be worth doing an apprenticeship. I assume you'll be leaving school this coming summer?

Also, approach Hallamshire Catering Solutions - they are based on fargate in town. Sign up to their books and you could get an agency job as waiting staff. It's minimum wage but tips can be worth it.

Of course, you may struggle in any job due to lack of transport since you don't drive.

Approach catering/restaraunts is my advice.

Aside from that - your chances are extremely slim. Sorry.

Edited by Miss M

Got to agree with shaunedy im afraid,but credit to you for putting it on here ,shows you are at least trying. good luck to you.

Don't even try as you'd be wasting your time!

I'm 17 in march and been looking for a job since I was 15 and had no chance at all.

I've now gone to college doing level 2 child care, and when I've finished the course the job situation may have improved and there may be more jobs on offer, maybe you should do the same :)

At 15 I had 3 jobs, paper rounds and a glass washer/collecter at weekends in a local working mens club but times have changed, I wish you luck in finding a job that you like. you sound well motivated so well done :)

If you are still at school I presume you know of these restrictions:-

during term time, you can only work for two hours on weekdays and Sundays

during term time, you can only work for five hours on Saturdays

during a school holiday, you can work for up to five hours on a week day or a Saturday

during a school holiday, you can't work for more than two hours on a Sunday

you cannot work before 7.00 am or after 7.00 pm on any day

If you just want experience and are not too fussed about earning a wage, the best way forward would be to just offer your services for free and then you will get the experience and if any jobs do come up where you are 'working' then you will have a better shot.

have you tried the markets? That was the only place I could get a job at 15 but that was a good few years ago. It was hard work and only paid a couple of quid an hour but was enough to get the things I wanted and gave me experience for applying for jobs when I was 16.

Everyone agrees that you are going to find it difficult to find a full time job.

But it is posible, eventually.

Some of the other contributors have given sound advice such as, try to find voluntary work to start with, or try to get on a college course.

Try to improve your writing, you will eventually need it.

Ask your local bobby if he knows of any unpaid work that you can do.

Work to getting a reference from your local bobby. It`s important that you build up some good references.

Best wishes,

If you can before you are 16 pop in to Brewers Fayre type operations and get your name down for veg prepping and general kitchen work. I know its not much but you may find a decent career in this type of operation, also try Wetherspoons.

Good luck and do not give up despite the job climate..

I didnt think you could get a proper job until you were at least 16. I was working for an agency when I was 15 but I lied about my age and provided a temperary NI number.