Farmers shooting dogs

Well you know more than I do about the garden so I can't really comment. .

We know the same thing.

The fence wasn't high enough to stop the dog that got shot.

We also know they were careless enough to let an old dog, that sounds infirm, to escape.

We know the same thing.

The fence wasn't high enough to stop the dog that got shot.

We also know they were careless enough to let an old dog, that sounds infirm, to escape.

I have a Shepherd that can scale 8ft very easily and a garden with a rickety 3ft fence :D

As I said dogs are unpredictable and at 13 years one of ours can still out run me. The thing is with dogs they can be quite remarkable when they choose to be.

My understanding of the OP is that the dog got loose, and chased the sheep and maybe more ("worried" them).

The OP says so.

After that, when the farmer shot the dog it was standing still.

No?

Exactly, it was shot whilst standing still. Surely that sentence in itself says it all no? If it was so out of control wouldn't it still be ripping the sheep's throats out?

The sheep were still alive and there was a window of opportunity for the farmer to do something other than shoot the dog dead. Fire the gun in the air or chase it off if he was close enough. If this did no good (which I'm sure it would have in this particular case as the OP says the dog would have **** himself) and the dog was still fixated on the sheep then as a last resort, OK, do what needs to be done.

Exactly, it was shot whilst standing still. Surely that sentence in itself says it all no? If it was so out of control wouldn't it still be ripping the sheep's throats out?

The sheep were still alive and there was a window of opportunity for the farmer to do something other than shoot the dog dead. Fire the gun in the air or chase it off if he was close enough. If this did no good (which I'm sure it would have in this particular case as the OP says the dog would have **** himself) and the dog was still fixated on the sheep then as a last resort, OK, do what needs to be done.

The OP admitted the dog had been chasing the sheep. The farmer probably took the opportunity to get rid of the dog before it could cause any further damage. We have already established that firing a weapon in the air is not an effective method of scaring a dog. So, the farmer decides to chase the dog. Good idea... having a dog running amongst the sheep again.

whats a 15 month old timberland ? what breed I mean ?

No idea but it sounds like they can jump high.

The OP admitted the dog had been chasing the sheep. The farmer probably took the opportunity to get rid of the dog before it could cause any further damage. We have already established that firing a weapon in the air is not an effective method of scaring a dog. So, the farmer decides to chase the dog. Good idea... having a dog running amongst the sheep again.

Where/how have we already established this?? I think it's a perfectly good alternative to at least try. And I didn't say chase the dog as in follow him wherever he went as if it was some comedy sketch. I said chase him away, shoot the gun and follow it up.

For example, if a dog approaches me with mine and it's off lead, I "stand tall" in front of them and shout "Go!" and the dog has always backed off. It's not the same but I would imagine when confronted along with a gun shot, the dog will back off...

What is all this rubbish about shooting in the air?

A dog has proven it's willingness to attack the sheep, the owner has proven himself incapable of keeping the hound under control and posters want to give it a second chance to kill.

Drrrrrrrr.

Where/how have we already established this?? I think it's a perfectly good alternative to at least try. And I didn't say chase the dog as in follow him wherever he went as if it was some comedy sketch. I said chase him away, shoot the gun and follow it up.

For example, if a dog approaches me with mine and it's off lead, I "stand tall" in front of them and shout "Go!" and the dog has always backed off. It's not the same but I would imagine when confronted along with a gun shot, the dog will back off...

Perfectly good way of creating more chaos/damage more like.

What's the point when the law states the farmer is within his rights to shoot the dog.

Edited by Agent Orange

What is all this rubbish about shooting in the air?

A dog has proven it's willingness to attack the sheep, the owner has proven himself incapable of keeping the hound under control and posters want to give it a second chance to kill.

Drrrrrrrr.

Seems reasonable, we're a peace loving nation.

thats completly horrible, i cant believe someone would be that cruel

Perfectly good way of creating more chaos more like.

What's the point when the law states the farmer is within his rights to shoot the dog.

What sort of question is that? Because he's a human being capable of compassion? Because he has respect for life?

So just because he can, he should no? Regardless of if there is an alternative? It's the easiest option for him and that's all that matters..

If we all had that attitude to life, wouldn't it be a lovely world to live in..