When you get justice

It doesn't matter if the offender is appearing in magistrates or Crown court, either way the public can go along and watch.

In Sheffield magistrates court there are a few seats at the back of each courtroom for the public. Anyone can go along and watch - you won't be asked who you are or questioned in any way.

At Crown court there is a public gallery above each courtroom. Again, you can just walk right in and watch.

Good luck.

If he has pleaded not guilty and is having a trial whether you can sit in the public gallery will depend whether you are giving evidence. You are generally not allowed to sit in the public gallery until after you have given your evidence. You will of course be allowed in the court when he is giving his evidence (if he chooses to do so)

In the event that he has/will be pleading guilty you of course can attend the sentencing.

(None of this applies in the Youth Court as members of the public/victims are not permitted in the Court room).

At Crown court there is a public gallery above each courtroom. Again, you can just walk right in and watch.

Good luck.

Not strictly true.

Whilst there is a public gallery in all Courts a number of them are actually within the Court room itself and in these Courts it is more difficult to see the defendant in the dock.

hi everyone i didnt go in the end as i spoke to the police and if it goes to trial i will need to give a wittness statment so i wasnt able go to his first apperance but hopfully i will get what i want soon. to be honest i have lost all faith in the justice system at this current moment in time. i shall keep you all posted as the weeks go by, also i would like to thank all of you for the advice that was given.

hi everyone i didnt go in the end as i spoke to the police and if it goes to trial i will need to give a wittness statment so i wasnt able go to his first apperance but hopfully i will get what i want soon. to be honest i have lost all faith in the justice system at this current moment in time. i shall keep you all posted as the weeks go by, also i would like to thank all of you for the advice that was given.

That makes sense: if you are to give evidence, you can't be seen to be influenced by what others have told the court.

The general right of the public to sit in on trials and see what happens is one of those fundamental rights - the point is that the public can check up on what is happening in the courts if they want to.

Hi everyone i just want to give you an update on what has happened since january 18th 2012 and the update it **** all. the guy didnt turn up to court so he was on the run for ages then he was arrested in nottingham last week doing another bike theft caught with a bike, this kid clearly knows his stuff as i was read a list of bikes that have been stolen and they are all high speak bikes not just your cheap ever day use ones. please everyone if you have an expensive bike make sure its locked up tight i would hate for it to happen to you aswell, its not been the best experience of my life time.

i will keep you updated as the time goes on.

thanks ninja

don't take a m obile phone with you though, as they often have cameras or sound recording they won't let you take it in, and they don't always have safe storage.

Thanks for update. I really, really hope you get justice.

The big problem is the 'do gooder attitude' of a lot of the courts where they seem to go out of their way to let the poor unfortunate have the benefit of the doubt. What is the point of a driving ban? More than likely this scum does not have a licence anyway.

Why not start with the idea of - stolen x number of bikes, that's x number of times not insured so that is x times one year’s insurance cost (at full whack, forget no claims) before we even start at fines etc.

Oh for the days when the black cap was in use for sentencing.

little up date for you all the guy who stole my bike appeared in court on the 17th feb 2012 and he got 12 weeks imprisonment (thats all) there for no compensation for me as the courts decided he wouldnt be able to pay the value of the bike.

Edited by Karis

little up date for you all the guy who stole my bike appeared in court on the 17th feb 2012 and he got 12 weeks imprisonment (thats all) there for no compensation for me as the courts decided he wouldnt be able to pay the value of the bike.

So you didn't get much justice. They should have sent a bailiff round to his hovel and took his telly/hi-fi/xbox toys and auctioned them.

It's worse than that - he will likely only serve 4 weeks.

as you can imagin i am outraged by this and i will be taking it higher as i dont think it is fair as he is only getting a slap on the wrist, the police have also said there are some floors in the justice system, i think they really need to sort them out.