Meadowhall previous shops

I recall all the food shops that were in Market Place as you walked up to Sainsburys Savacentre. The entrance to Savacentre is approx where Starbucks is now outside BHS.

There was a shop just selling eggs, one selling cheese and the butchers and coffee shop stayed longer than the rest. The nut hut was also along there before relocating to the corner.

Savacentre was brilliant and massive and had a Post Office for years. Being less than 1 mile from home it was my regular shop.

Is it just me being a little bit sad or would it be nice to see pictures/map of what meadowhall used to be like?

Massively sad, but I'm only a 5 year shefilder would interest me too. I like the old photos of "depressing" Sheffield. The Melancholy of the 90's attracted me here in the first place. That and the full Monty :hihi:

C & A's upper floor entrance was at the top of the escalator , on the left. next to WH Smiths.

As you walked in there was the mens' department on either side of a long central aisle ( sort of like a T shape ) which brought you to two escalators

to go to the childrens' department on the lower floor (now Argos). The Ladies' department was to the left of the escalators upstairs and ran right up to the big window that overlooks what was the C & A entrance car park.... next to Sainsburys' car park.

I remember the Iceland store next to C & A on the ground floor and ''Market Street'' just around the corner with the bakery, the greengrocer, the butcher, the egg stall, the cheese shop , the coffee shop, the nut stall and the wine shop....sure there were more of those little shops there.

I wonder if that area is still mapped as 'Market Street' :roll:...have to look next time I go down there.

I've got it now, thanks to your description! It's all coming back to me. I'd forgotten all about most of the food shops as well.

Savacentre was brilliant and massive and had a Post Office for years. Being less than 1 mile from home it was my regular shop.

I still miss Savacentre & the post office.

it was a shop called allders.:)

I remember when Allders was Willis Ludlow

I worked in meadowhall when it first opened in a shop called F.A.S. (famous army stores) ground floor on market street, next door was a bank(poss TSB) then burgerking. Allsports was at the other side of us.

Across from us was poundland, and the nut bar around the corner.

Can anyone remember The Madhouse upstairs that sold jeans and t shirts?

I remember madhouse, my sister used to shop there (I was too girly!) theres a branch in the alhambra centre at barnsley now!

What was the little packed clothes shop called on the lanes near the entrance from the main mall around 25 years ago that used to stock dryzabone coats, fruits of the loom t shirts, an other vaguely Americana clothing/ urban woodman gear?

I miss Savacentre, C&A and Woolworths !

I was going to mention Woolworths, unless I'm mistaken it wasn't a full Woolworths just 2 Woolworths Focus stores, one selling Entertainment such as Music, DVDs etc and one selling Children's clothes.

Can anyone remember The Gadget shop near Debenhams had lots of Boys Toys used to go there for stuff for my teenage nephews it disappeared then came back about ten years later as Red 5 it turned posh down that end and they moved then Lush then Build a Bear extortionate rents down that end of Meadowhall now it's only for 'designer shops ' and the big stores there's so many empty spaces if the rents were more reasonable then there would be more shops

It must be over 5 years since I last went shopping in Meadowhall. Even before that I only used to pop in just before Christmas for a quick look around.

Horrible place. :gag: