Sore ankle/walking boot issues

Well it turns out I've got tendonitus in my foot :(

Has anyone else had this? I'm going spare being unable to walk properly :(

Edit - if you have had this how long did it take to heal? I've had it about three weeks now and it's properly throbbing right now!

Got it in my knee. So, no walking for me for a while :(

I've got the same pain on the top of my foot(like where my ankle connects to it). I've had it for about 4 weeks now and I've noticed it's worse when I'm wearing heels/wedges(which I wear a lot for work). When I wear my trainers for running and walking I'm usually fine for a couple of hours without it hurting that bad.

Yesterday I took the dog out walking to Rother Valley and I had only been walking for around 20 minutes and had to go back home. The pain was so bad it took me ages to walk back to the car. It's never been as bad as what it was yesterday, I could have cried! And it doesn't help when the dog and OH carry on walking at 30mph lol.

Not sure whether to go to the doctors about it or just see if it heals on it's own.

I think it's worth going to the docs to get it checked, mine prescribed anti-inflammatories that do seem to be helping, I was just taking ibuprofen which didn't help at all!

Doctors - first and foremost. Always my recommendation.

vwkittie - I was told I might need physio if it doesn't improve.

VW Kittie, re the ankle bone problem, just spotted your posts after searching the net for more ideas for exact same problem. My physio said it's to do with where the tendons / ligaments go over the ankle bone. The pressure of the boot sidewall on the tendon presses it onto the bone, if the bone has a rough surface, the contact then annoys the tendon / ligament. He says 3-6 weeks for it to settle.

I've an old pair old Demon boots that never gave a problem but are now shot and out of production, they had very soft sidewalls. I've been searching for similar boots but unfortunately the 'better' the boots, the more ankle support you get, and in my case that's not what you want. In emergencies you could try felt padding from Boots. Cut it into a horseshoe shape around the ankle bone but not over it. It keeps the boot away from the bone enough to get you home.

I've just got some Meindl Nebraska Mid XCR which have soft sidewalls. Not really a full on boot I know but hopefully they will get me walking again. PS Which Karrimor boots are you using now?

Hey they ones I got are Bodmin II mid lengths, they are just low enough to let the boney bit poke out so no soreness! They do seem to be better supporting than my walking shoes so far so less general ankle problems with longer distances too, I'm very happy with them so far. Now that I know that shape of boot works for me, when these have fallen apart (which I think they will as they were only very cheap), I will look for a higher quality pair in the same shape if I can find one.

To be honest I've had that problem for years now so I'm not really expecting it to ever go away, and frankly after having been stuck miles from the car and reduced to tears from the pain I'm in no hurry to risk it with full boots, but luckily my tendonitis cleared up after several weeks rest and anti inflamitories, so I'm now back walking and hoping to build up distance gradually.

Good luck with your ankle I hope you find something that suits!!

Edited by vwkittie

Greetings from California. :) I realize this is an old post but I am glad I found it, this is exactly the same problem I have. I can wear shoes fine, no problem at all. With boots, they will work fine for a while - maybe 3km, so in the store, and around the house while trying them out they appear to be great boots. When I actually walk or hike any distance outdoors with them ( thus making them un-returnable ) is when the pain sets in.

The pain is right at the outer edge of the part of the ankle bone that sticks out, lateral malleolus. At first, the pain seems to be only over the protruding part of the ankle, if I take the boots off, the pain goes away. Putting them back on, not even walking, will cause pain again. If I keep walking despite the pain, I start to feel pain a little below and behind the protrusion. At this point walking hurts even with the boots off and the area is tender, sore, and a little swollen.

Like Stuart says, tendons run just behind and kind of wrap underneath the protrusion so definitely be careful with it. I'm trying something very similar to what Stuart suggested actually and cut out the foam from my boot in that area.

If VW Kittie still reads this site I would love to hear an update. I'll try to update myself once my ankle settles down and I get a chance to try out boot modifications.

Ghoelix.

An update on my ankle problem. I had 10 sessions with a physiotherapist. He used ultra sound and massage on it. Very painful - but he said it could kick start my body in healing it. It did work and I had several months last year with no problems at all, even for quite long walks (6 hours plus). I have not done much walking during the past few months, and just recently started again. The problem has returned sadly. The physiotherapist said that a doctor could inject it with something if it came back. So that looks like an option. In the meantime I thinking about buying some decent walking shoes!

have you tryed heel pads and bridge supports, i know it sounds strange but i had a foot problem that was causing, not pain but slight discomfort around the ankles and whilst both my shoes and boots seem to offer quite alot of support the extra padding has helped quite alot.