Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

Whatever happens after the referendum, British politics wont be the same again; suppose the NO camp win and Scotland stays in the union, how, in any typical future spats in the Commons between the Tories and Labour over the economy or whatever, could the Tories have the cheek to make remarks like "Labour would wreck Britain", or "only with the Tories can Britain prosper", etc etc, when, given that Scotland is practically a Tory-free zone and has been nowhere in the independence debate, it will have been mainly Labour that rescued the union?

Sending Gordon Brown up was a potentially dumb move

It may be a stroke of genius or a monumental mistake

It's hilarious that all 3 UK leaders have cancelled Q & A to campaign in Scotland tomorrow, I sense major squeaky bums now!

I sense major squeaky bums now!

Nah, John Major has buns of steel. Edwina Curry knows.

Sending Gordon Brown up was a potentially dumb move

It may be a stroke of genius or a monumental mistake

It's hilarious that all 3 UK leaders have cancelled Q & A to campaign in Scotland tomorrow, I sense major squeaky bums now!

Don't forget while the majority south of the border have little time for Gordon Brown he is far more popular in Scotland itself and he is very popular with the working class voters up there.

They probably should have used him more in the campaign.

Just a thought, but who gave permission for Scotland to have a referendum ?

If Scotland just decided, then why can't Northern Ireland, and if Westminster decided, then why can't they give permission to Northern Ireland ?

If Westminster had not allowed a referendum then Salmon would have held an unofficial one. Had he won the unofficial one then Westminster would have been in a very difficult situation. Democracy would be seen to be ignored. It was better to do it this way.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 09:52 ----------

Whatever happens after the referendum, British politics wont be the same again; suppose the NO camp win and Scotland stays in the union, how, in any typical future spats in the Commons between the Tories and Labour over the economy or whatever, could the Tories have the cheek to make remarks like "Labour would wreck Britain", or "only with the Tories can Britain prosper", etc etc, when, given that Scotland is practically a Tory-free zone and has been nowhere in the independence debate, it will have been mainly Labour that rescued the union?

In the event of a no vote I don't see how any political party can claim any credit for "saving Britain" it is a referendum that has seen party political borders crossed. It is the people of Scotland who have either saved or ruined Britain.

Indeed. Going to be fascinating if they do vote yes
That it will.

For starters, whether Scotland gets carpet-bagged by international financial markets from the get-go since they won't get the £...which is my prediction.

Whereby they'd end up in submission to London, NY, JP <etc.> financiers as before, but to them alone without the additional clout and umbrella of No.10, the BoE, democratic representation (and safeguards) in the House of Parliament, etc.

As I said, a case of being careful about what one wishes for. But hey-ho. Like the man said, "you makes your choices, you lives your life" ;)

If Westminster had not allowed a referendum then Salmon would have held an unofficial one. Had he won the unofficial one then Westminster would have been in a very difficult situation. Democracy would be seen to be ignored. It was better to do it this way.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 09:52 ----------

In the event of a no vote I don't see how any political party can claim any credit for "saving Britain" it is a referendum that has seen party political borders crossed. It is the people of Scotland who have either saved or ruined Britain.

Scotland is been an equal drain on England than anything else so a YES vote could be a positive move for England.

Just a thought, but who gave permission for Scotland to have a referendum ?

If Scotland just decided, then why can't Northern Ireland, and if Westminster decided, then why can't they give permission to Northern Ireland ?

Thank's to all for the answer on this one. It's all fascinating,especially with the polls being so close.

Scotland got permission from the government in Westminster, I think it was given the go ahead shortly after the current lot got in.

I'm not sure Northern Ireland want to be independent, I've not heard any rumblings about it - I think they're quite happy with the current situation.

I'm not sure Northern Ireland want to be independent, I've not heard any rumblings about it - I think they're quite happy with the current situation.
Last I heard, most in the Republic to the south still don't want them. But Sinn Feinn says different. Unsurprisingly, I might add.

I don't think most of the people in the North want to join the South either to be honest, if anything they'd go it alone rather than join the South.

Especially in the last couple of years when Ireland's economy just went down the toilet - who'd want to join in with that mess????

When you say independent do you mean from both Britain and the rest of Ireland? that idea would be a new one on me.