The three merry lads

Unfortunately the last landlord of the Three Merry Lads had left the pub in rather a mess and I beleive that the new landlord / lady ( I have not met them yet) have had quite a lot to do befreinding the brewery's again and sorting out credit etc. I really hope that they make a go of it and I think that rather than slating it now, how about it is reveiwed in say 6 months time? Agreed that pub may struggle through the winter months especially as people are not exactly recommending others go there, but once the good old british summer arrives then may be as families are going up there and the youngsters are out enjoying a pint the new occupiers will have had chance to up their game and prove to people that once again the Three merry lads is the place to be.

Please give them a chance before we put everyone off going up there.

Well this is interesting news

I wondered what had happened to the place when we were in a number of months ago

we used to drive right across sheffield to eat there on a regular basis, but last time the food was decidedly not the standards we'd expected. To make matters worse, when we asked for the scrambled egg on toast we'd ordered for the baby to be separated onto cold plates as it was too hot for her to eat (steaming), the 'chef' had an audible strop about it :mad: Thinking about it we should have rung up and complained to Pete

When I saw your thread title I thought it was actually closed for good. It sounds not even in its death throes yet, let alone its demise. Misleading! :rolleyes:

Yes, please change to thread title to Three Merry Lads Under New Management or similat, lets have a posative slant for a change . Cheers!

Does anyone remember the very fat landlord in the early 70's? He used to clear the car park after closing time by knocking on cars side windows, the occupants were usually in some state of undress. :hihi:

I think with less people going out nowadays there is probably not a market for 2 pubs up there and from what I have seen would favour the Sportsman.

Well this is interesting news

I wondered what had happened to the place when we were in a number of months ago

we used to drive right across sheffield to eat there on a regular basis, but last time the food was decidedly not the standards we'd expected. To make matters worse, when we asked for the scrambled egg on toast we'd ordered for the baby to be separated onto cold plates as it was too hot for her to eat (steaming), the 'chef' had an audible strop about it :mad: Thinking about it we should have rung up and complained to Pete

As in Pete the last landlord who was never there, I would not have fancied your chances of getting very far!

I grew up drinking beers of under 4% vol, it is a modern misunderstanding that the stronger it is the better it is. Strength has nothing to do with taste, other than the stronger it is the less sugar is left in the final brew. Content and brewing skills have more to do with the taste of the finished article.

Amen to that. I go looking for milder beers at less then 4%abv, and their taste is not as dominated by alcohol as stronger beers.

Strong beers have their place, but for light drinking, milder beers offer more interest and variety where the publican sees fit to serve them.

Mild and Porter are also popular with me.

Interesting thread this...

I have been saddened by the decline of this once great boozer, excellent food, beer and views were always guaranteed!

When Pete the chef bought it from John? things started to go down hill. The place became tattier each time we went in, the hanging baskets outside were about 3 years dead and just the general level of service, food and feel was poor.

We peaked round the door on xmas day but it was empty so went to the sportsman which was packed, £3:20 a pint though for Landlord:wow:

The Shiny Sheff isn't that great so I really hope someone can bring the lads back to it's best. I thought it was in private hands and not a pub company though?

Someone could make a killing along this top road, we need our own versions of the rising sun or ranmoor...though perhaps not, I would never be out of the pub!:D

didnt realise last owner has left and its under new management, havent been up for a month or two. Shiny sheff was dead as a dodo as usual last weekend mid afternoon. seems to be the way with the traditional pubs on estates. merry lads used to be cracking, hope it recovers, food was always decent and place rammed at weekends.

Such a shame, we used to love the Three Merry Lads but it has gone downhill terribly to the extent we don't go anymore. We've shifted to The Sportsman, smaller, no lovely views from the windows but with a delicious meat and potato pie. I hope the TML can be rescued before its too late, I'd love to go back and find it a pleasant place to eat and drink again. Surely, with the position it's in, the potential is there to make it good again!

The Horns at Bradfield is a good alternative well worth trying