The three merry lads

, we need our own versions of the rising sun or ranmoor...though perhaps not, I would never be out of the pub!:D

The Rising Sun is only saved by its beers. The place desperately needs a refurb IMO. The side room is as depressing as it gets!

We go there about once a month and we also had New Years day dinner there with 2 other couples.

Never had a complaint about the meal or the service.

Nice food and good value IMO.

The Rising Sun is only saved by its beers. The place desperately needs a refurb IMO. The side room is as depressing as it gets!

I take your point and its perfectly true what you say ... but I can't resist the Abbeydale Brewery beers and the Bangladeshi Restaurant across the road!

Agreed, the pub does lack atmosphere but the beers are excellent.

Anyone know who will be paying the outstanding bills for the Three Merry lads?! We did work for them in April and still haven't been paid!!

Interesting thread this...

I have been saddened by the decline of this once great boozer, excellent food, beer and views were always guaranteed!

When Pete the chef bought it from John? things started to go down hill. The place became tattier each time we went in, the hanging baskets outside were about 3 years dead and just the general level of service, food and feel was poor.

We peaked round the door on xmas day but it was empty so went to the sportsman which was packed, £3:20 a pint though for Landlord:wow:

The Shiny Sheff isn't that great so I really hope someone can bring the lads back to it's best. I thought it was in private hands and not a pub company though?

Someone could make a killing along this top road, we need our own versions of the rising sun or ranmoor...though perhaps not, I would never be out of the pub!:D

John Gaunt IIRC?

Sad to hear about the TML, holds some great memories for me over the last 35 years or so.

im local to the three merry lads.. and it has taken on new owners, they are called Barry and Jane Coxhall. they are lovely and very eager to get the pub back to its better state. they have plenty of experience in the pub game. they have already made changes but not major ones just yet. they are having are a re-opening night in Feb. where the whole place is being redecorated. and they do a excellent Carvery every week, i go there myself, and the card machine works :). dont be quick to slag it off.

im local to the three merry lads.. and it has taken on new owners, they are called Barry and Jane Coxhall. they are lovely and very eager to get the pub back to its better state. they have plenty of experience in the pub game. they have already made changes but not major ones just yet. they are having are a re-opening night in Feb. where the whole place is being redecorated. and they do a excellent Carvery every week, i go there myself, and the card machine works :). dont be quick to slag it off.

On Sun 8th of Jan there was no carvery at all and they were not able to process credit cards, FACT! Oh, and you're only local insomuch as you work there, young feller me lad!

Edited by beefface

Does anybody know who the three merry lads were?

I ate at the three merry the other week had the lads grill was really nice only just managed to eat it all not for the faint hearted! My girlfriend had one of the specials which looked lovely and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The pub certainly looks cleaner and it looks like the new owners are looking to improve the place further. I would recommend it to anyone very good value for money in a country pub which hasn't had the weatherspoons sterile modern revamp. Make the most of it there are few original pubs like this left!!

I ate at the three merry the other week had the lads grill was really nice only just managed to eat it all not for the faint hearted! My girlfriend had one of the specials which looked lovely and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The pub certainly looks cleaner and it looks like the new owners are looking to improve the place further. I would recommend it to anyone very good value for money in a country pub which hasn't had the weatherspoons sterile modern revamp. Make the most of it there are few original pubs like this left!!

It's not as original as it used to be! It was the perfect pub before they knocked the two rooms into one in the 80's, followed by the restaurant extension. Times change I suppose and they saw that there was better profit in food.

My ex-brother-in-law still has some of the original bar stools from that time and I have the then landlords golf clubs, so at least I have something to remind me of those times :D

Just been in.

It felt clean, warm and we felt welcome.

Still, that's anathema to the career moaners on this Forum.