Lhasa apso eye staining

Anyone know Why they get eye stains... Ginger reddish colouring ? How do you get rid of it ?

Any vets or animal nurses on here

Don't know why they get it. I cut as much away as possible.

Anyone know Why they get eye stains... Ginger reddish colouring ? How do you get rid of it ?

Any vets or animal nurses on here

It weeps from the eye and unless you clean it regularly with cotton wool and water it will stain permanently. Shepherds are the same, Retrievers, it's common with lots of dogs.

(and in case this thread is moved and for the benefit of the pet section i replied on Sheffield discussions first :))

You can get drops/ wipes from pet stores, to remove the discolouration.

You can get drops/ wipes from pet stores, to remove the discolouration.

Cotton wool is cheaper in the long term PT. Been using it on our Shepherd for 7 years; her eyes weep a lot and they are stain free.

i have two maltese bitches they used to have tear staining, it is linked with food but now i sprinkle a pinch of angels glow onto their food no more staining, it is quiet expensive and has to be imported.you can look it up on http://www.angelsglow.com

If the problem is acute, talk to your vet. Your dog may have an Entropion problem.

Cold tea eyebaths (no milk or sugar ;)) may help.

Talk to the vet before you do anything.

Brude gets it when he's allergic to something - like grass, or cats, or dust. other times he's fine. My grandparents' JRT had it in his later years

don't stay looking at a computer screen for a long time every half hour take 10 minutes break and have your eyes tested if you use a computer screen regularly

I second Angels Glow. It is expensive about £20, and has to come from the states.BUT it does work!! If you have a friend who has a white dog with the same problem, perhaps go halves? Thats what I do.

i have two maltese bitches they used to have tear staining, it is linked with food but now i sprinkle a pinch of angels glow onto their food no more staining, it is quiet expensive and has to be imported.you can look it up on http://www.angelsglow.com

Do you have an address for this company or contact details ! I've looked on their site but can't find a contact link...thanks

It weeps from the eye and unless you clean it regularly with cotton wool and water it will stain permanently. Shepherds are the same, Retrievers, it's common with lots of dogs.

(and in case this thread is moved and for the benefit of the pet section i replied on Sheffield discussions first :))

I agree. The tear ducts work the same as ours and helpto keep the eye clean but dogs cannot wipe away the dried mucous so the tear duct gets blocked and that's what causes the staining.

You need to wipe away the dried mucous every few days with cotton wool/ baby wipes/ dog eye wipes to keep the tear ducts clear. The staining won't go away until the hair has grown out and been cut away, then the fresh hair won't get stained if the ducts are kept clean.

I personally don't like the idea of supplements etc and I heard one of the powder products for this problem that was to be put in food had been banned from the UK but I can't remember what it was but I would try and avoid it myself. Prevention is better than cure! :)

Terri