Great Burger Challenge

I eat burgers pink usually, but only if I know it's decent meat (as I'd hope steak tartare would be).

The loopy smiley is a little harsh when the NHS website actually tells people to cut their burgers in half to check that they aren't pink.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/Foodhygiene.aspx

ok maybe a little harsh:nod: but the food police tell us that much over the top C**p it really annoys me, the last thing i want to do is have totally incinerated meat, which is basically what the health guidelines say and most people get scared to death about food poisoning! sell by dates , use by dates etc etc all food if cooked and handled correctly is safe to eat & the bacteria has to be there in the first place to give you food poisoning.

West 10 on Fulwood road make an amazing burger! I'd like to try the Mud Crab.

You shouldn't eat burgers pink. Minced products should always be cooked through until no blood is seen in the juice, unless you fancy playing Russain roulette with food posioning. The bits of minced meat could have bugs on the outside of them so it needs cooking through thoroughly.

Here is a link for those who will doubt what I say it true.

http://www.ukmeat.org/pdf/MIG3Final.pdf

Freshly minced products are ok to eat pink. The bacteria on meat is on the surface in contact with the air. When it's minced this is obviously mixed and distributed throughout the batch, and will start to multiply towards dangerous levels the older it gets. If you can be sure of its freshness (ie by mincing it yourself) it can reasonably safely be eaten pink although to be extra safe the frail or those with weakened immune systems might want to eat it well done

Well we have a new #1 burger place in town...

Just tried the mud crab (previously felicini) and the burger is fantastic.

3 patties , cooked pink and dribbling meaty juices, with soft onions and cheese in between and a very nice sauce.

Bun very good too , overall miles better than most in Sheffield and even better than London club ( my previous #1).

We also had nachos which were very good too with lots of fresh guacamole .

Service was very efficient but nice and informal. Good buzz in the place, with lots eating but some just in for cocktails.

Negatives? Only minor , soft drinks are expensive at £2 (and only mixer pop). Fries were a little salty (but otherwise very good , ask for them unsalted perhaps). Burgers aren't cheap at £9.50 , personally I would rather just have the burger without fries for a bit less and add a couple of sides or a salad.

( going off at a tangent now , whenever I have been to the USA, the straws in the drinks are individually paper wrapped and when they come to the table they leave the end of the wrapper on top of the straws , just a little touch (which makes you know you have a fresh hygienic straw) but never seen anywhere in the uk do that...just struck me that the mud crab could do this at minimal cost and would be a nice touch . plus USA places always bring you big glasses of fresh iced water without even asking , something the uk could well pick up on..)

Didn't have a pudding (we were going to have the baked alaska but they had run out of vanilla ice cream) but we did have their homemade Oreos which were pretty good.

Decent coffee at resonable price (£1 for espresso ).

Heading back next week for a birthday, will see if they can keep up the quality.

Back last night - burgers still excellent.

Had three of them between four of us (as well as some nachos again) and they did two with asian salad instead of fries (after a bit of nudging - they didnt want to do that initially).

Overall very good. Just typing about the burgers is making me drool a little.

Well we have a new #1 burger place in town...

Just tried the mud crab (previously felicini) and the burger is fantastic.

3 patties , cooked pink and dribbling meaty juices, with soft onions and cheese in between and a very nice sauce.

Bun very good too , overall miles better than most in Sheffield and even better than London club ( my previous #1).

We also had nachos which were very good too with lots of fresh guacamole .

Service was very efficient but nice and informal. Good buzz in the place, with lots eating but some just in for cocktails.

Negatives? Only minor , soft drinks are expensive at £2 (and only mixer pop). Fries were a little salty (but otherwise very good , ask for them unsalted perhaps). Burgers aren't cheap at £9.50 , personally I would rather just have the burger without fries for a bit less and add a couple of sides or a salad.

( going off at a tangent now , whenever I have been to the USA, the straws in the drinks are individually paper wrapped and when they come to the table they leave the end of the wrapper on top of the straws , just a little touch (which makes you know you have a fresh hygienic straw) but never seen anywhere in the uk do that...just struck me that the mud crab could do this at minimal cost and would be a nice touch . plus USA places always bring you big glasses of fresh iced water without even asking , something the uk could well pick up on..)

Didn't have a pudding (we were going to have the baked alaska but they had run out of vanilla ice cream) but we did have their homemade Oreos which were pretty good.

Decent coffee at resonable price (£1 for espresso ).

Heading back next week for a birthday, will see if they can keep up the quality.

Damn right they aint! £11.50 for burger, chips and a coke. I'd give them one chance to impress at that price. Then wait for the voucher offers!

Big Baps on Attercliffe Rd do fantastic burgers double cheeseburger & onions for £1.95 - bargin!

Does anyone know of anywhere doing eating challenges at the mo? I've got a 14 year old nephew to entertain for a few weeks!

Not a response to your eating challenge, sorry.

We finally tried Mud Crab last night and I can honestly say it was the best burger I've ever had.

I had the 'dirty burger'. Fantastic!!!

The hand made burger company is quite nice.

If u want a challenge there is always the Belfry near crystal peaks, its one of the flaming grill chains and it has a burger challenge, Man v Food style.