Thoughts on buying a car.

Originally posted by emperor_ming

Take it from me, NOT from ebay - ever...

for every bad experience there's always a good one. i was fortunate to buy a classic mg from ebay, under book price with loads of history. well worth the buy.

i did see most cars i bid on first,but didnt get to see this 'til i picked it up.

although ebay is "binding" if the car runs like a dog then they have not given a true description & the sale can be legally cancelled.

Second hand garages are all con merchants. Dealers are just as bad and charge too much. Private is the best option IMO or possibly auctions. Ex fleet cars are always an option, at least you know that have been well maintained. Dealers and second hand places tell you all sorts of crap and offer you all sorts of assurances, all good and well until something goes wrong and then all their promises mean nothing! Where ever you get a car from it's a risk. The FTO I owned I bought from a mate, all was good and I knew he had looked after it... It still caused me endless problems and caused me loads of trauma. My S60 I bought from some one in Huddersfield who has something to do with Volvo's and buys and sells lots of them. So far it been great :) My Dad always bought cars from auctions and never had a problem until the one car he bought from a ford dealer.

Originally posted by emperor_ming

Take it from me, NOT from ebay - ever...

I'd disagree. I bought a car from a dealer last year, warranty for three months etc, and ended up shelling out just under a grand for repairs to the gearbox that they would have known needed doing.

On the other hand, i've just bought another car from ebay, under average miles, fantastic condition full service history etc for 700 quid cheaper than i could find for the same model/year/condition etc anywhere in the country (using autotrader).

Yes, I was a little apprehensive at buying such a big ticket item online (I went to collect it and could have refused to pay if I'd found anything wrong with it) but the feedback system offers consumers much more information about the seller than buying from any old Tom, Dick or Harry through autotrader. The fact that the bloke I bought the car off had sold over 100 cars in the last 18 months and had 100% positive feedback suggested to me that it was less risky buying from him than from anywhere else, short of main dealers and I wasn't looking for a brand new or nearly new car.

Think about it. when you see a car on a forecourt, stop and have a look at it, what do you know about the seller? Practically nothing. Could by the worst kind of crook. With ebay at least you can see their past selling history and comments from buyers.

I've only bought a car once from ebay but I found it a much better experience than buying elsewhere.

Weve just bought a Mini from BMW this week and would recomend dealing with them to any one.

No hassle, they'll do anything for you and their standards are unbelievable.

They found, in our car, after it had been valeted a piece of chewing gum in the ash tray. Instead of just picking it out they threw the ash tray away and fitted the car with a new one. We didnt have the heart to tell them that we dont smoke!

I have bought cars from small dealers befroe and been stung and have also had dealings with the less reputable larger dealers like the one in hillsborough near Morrisons. This has put me off going to any of their sites.

When its time to replace Charlie (the Mini) we will go back to BMW. I know we paid a little over the odds (not much mind) for it but they give you a full 12 months warantee and there is three years/50'000m servicing on it too.

On top of all of that they give you a gift box with some keyrings. a model of your car and a disposable camera to take pictures of it with.

Lookm out for us tooling around town in it...we are the ones with the big smiles!!!!

ttfn