Northern general Mau2 ward

Hi. Please forgive my dragging up this old thread, but I can't find an appropriate link elsewhere.

At 69 years old I have just been released (yesterday) after a month in Firth 9 NGH ….. my first ever hospital stay.

and I'd just like to thank the whole medical team for their patience, professionalism, caring attitude and gentleness.

Most of my dealings with individual nurses was akin to an encounter with angels.

I was not an easy patient, awkward sometimes, deaf as a doorpost others but I always knew that the gentle soul peering down at me would not fail me.

I couldn't thank  them all on my departure, but if I could have I would. I owe you all my sanity. I hid the 'old-bloke  tears' as only an old bloke should I hope.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I do not ignore all the ancillaries. They are worth their weight in gold. Awoke  this morning and none of you were there. I'm missing you all.

I will remember every individual face always ….. some more than others, but all equally angelic and with a ready smile.

Thank you  all at NGH from the bottom of my heart.

69 years old and still learning. Love to all

IAN x

God bless you all

Edited by mad-dad
There were tears!!

Beautiful post 😊 and I hope you're recovering well now you're at home - stay safe and be kind to yourself xx

Thank you for allowing me to hijack  this thread hayes. Had to post about something that, for the first time in my life left me feeling so humbled.xx

@mad-dad

I work at the NGH, albeit on a different ward. 

It’s such a difficult time for all of us at the moment, staff and patients alike, it’s actually brought a tear to my eye reading your lovely post. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it.

Im so pleased you’re doing well now. Take care and look after yourself x

Edited by nikki-red

Really touching post Mad Dad.  Thank you.

33 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

@mad-dad

It’s such a difficult time for all of us at the moment, staff and patients alike, it’s actually brought a tear to my eye reading your lovely post. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it.

Be proud of what you do and achieve Nikki. I can honestly promise you there are an endless number of present and ex patients thinking of their memories of you and how you effected their lives. They'll not forget you. …. ever.xx

30 minutes ago, Padders said:

Really touching post Mad Dad.  Thank you.

Thanks Padders. I don't normally do 'touching'. I'm more of a grump at heart but that experience smacked me square in the face, hard, with the 'touching' reminder. God, it's dusty in here tonight.:cry:

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

@mad-dad

Me too.

Thank you, @mad-dad for taking the time to post your sentiments.

Most people can't wait to get away from us!  It's nice to know we are appreciated 🙂

Mad Dad, I had a similar experience  to you in Weston park hospital when  I was 80. Lung cancer ,which they could not operate on so I had to have chemo and radio therapy. The dedication and kindness by all in the hospital was amazing. I never saw a member of the staff who was not in a good mood. I am now in my 3rd year without treatment and feeling good. I owe my life to them and it is something I will never forget. Take care.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 09:03, Kidorry said:

Mad Dad, I had a similar experience  to you in Weston park hospital when  I was 80. Lung cancer ,which they could not operate on so I had to have chemo and radio therapy. The dedication and kindness by all in the hospital was amazing. I never saw a member of the staff who was not in a good mood. I am now in my 3rd year without treatment and feeling good. I owe my life to them and it is something I will never forget. Take care.

Hi Kidorry.

Sorry for delay in replying to you but news like yours usually has me 'gob smacked', and the fact you're still here lays testament to your resilience and the sheer determination of the medical staff to see you through it all. Well done mate. You were part of the biggest TEAM ever

I just find it strange from my personal experience that due to the mask regulations I never saw a face, just the eyes …. that's all I have to remember them all by and the clear and evident compassion shown in those caring eyes...… voices distorted by the masks still said, "You're with us now!" (with a smile you could feel, not see).

God bless them all.