Traffic Light Timings

The junction has changed a lot with the installation of a right turn lane and an additional sequence in the lights for this lane. this will obviously mean that there is going be a small amount of waiting added to peoples journey.

Which most mutliply x10 and get infuriated over.

The problem is this city has been built in a valley, everything runs downhill and meets in a chaotic heap at the bottom.

Are you seriously telling me that unless they have CCTV the Council won't be aware of how efficiently their traffic lights are working on the 2nd busiest route into Sheffield?

I'm sure Council employees will use this road.

I'm sure the emergency services will frequently use this road.....No doubt traffic jams will slow them down from reaching their destination.

Yesterday was particularly bad, but those lights haven't worked as efficiently ever since the works started on the retail park.....Surely once traffic lights are set up, the Council do studies afterwards to see how well the traffic flows?

Why would they be?

The team who operate traffic signals is quite small, they can't be everywhere at once. So, if there is CCTV coverage it helps the guys in the control room to see exactly what's happening. And, if there is need for adjustments, they can easily be made. otherwise it usually means multiple site visits at different times, sometimes by more than one person.

The Council's Traffic Control team will only take over responsibility for the signals once they have been installed, checked and handed over by whoever the design and installation contractors are, which isn't necessarily the Council.

Why would they be?

The team who operate traffic signals is quite small, they can't be everywhere at once. So, if there is CCTV coverage it helps the guys in the control room to see exactly what's happening. And, if there is need for adjustments, they can easily be made. otherwise it usually means multiple site visits at different times, sometimes by more than one person.

The Council's Traffic Control team will only take over responsibility for the signals once they have been installed, checked and handed over by whoever the design and installation contractors are, which isn't necessarily the Council.

I assume Caddick will have carried out the works to that junction as part of a Section 278 agreement.

Having now completed the junction, won't it have been handed over to the Council to take responsibility for it? - Regardless of whoever is responsible, surely they will have done a study during rush hour to see how efficiently it is working and adjust the timings to suit.

If they just set up the timings without checking how it impacts on traffic flow then that is just madness.

Whilst I was sat in the traffic on Friday an ambulance was struggling to negotiate it's way through the jam........That would have been avoidable if the lights were working properly.

Regards

Doom

The problem is this city has been built in a valley, everything runs downhill and meets in a chaotic heap at the bottom.

Where does everyone go from there? Does anyone ever bother to go and feed/water these poor souls?

*makes note to invent vehicle which can drive uphill*

I assume Caddick will have carried out the works to that junction as part of a Section 278 agreement.

Having now completed the junction, won't it have been handed over to the Council to take responsibility for it? - Regardless of whoever is responsible, surely they will have done a study during rush hour to see how efficiently it is working and adjust the timings to suit.

If they just set up the timings without checking how it impacts on traffic flow then that is just madness.

Whilst I was sat in the traffic on Friday an ambulance was struggling to negotiate it's way through the jam........That would have been avoidable if the lights were working properly.

Regards

Doom

If it's completed to the Council's satisfaction it may well have been handed over and in that process, they certainly would have checked it was working as designed.

As you and others have said, the bad problem was just that day. There could be any number of reasons behind that. Best option when seeing traffic signal problems is to call it in to the fault line on 273666. Maintenance contractor response times are very good.

If you want to speak to one of the engineers in Traffic Control and express any concerns, I can give you direct contact details.

Where does everyone go from there? Does anyone ever bother to go and feed/water these poor souls?

*makes note to invent vehicle which can drive uphill*

No one does, they're left to fathom the complex array of signage and lights without assistance.

Have we now got flying buses that fly over traffic jams?

What a ridiculous response!!

Regards

Doom

to doom and angelfire, im sorry that was meant to be a lighthearted dig at the city councils apparent moves to harrass motorists.

Not designed by the council ,not installed by the council not finished as far as I know still a work in progress

Ah, :wink: so we need to take the problem up with the big boss man upstairs, who created all the hills of Sheffield. lol

If it's completed to the Council's satisfaction it may well have been handed over and in that process, they certainly would have checked it was working as designed.

As you and others have said, the bad problem was just that day. There could be any number of reasons behind that. Best option when seeing traffic signal problems is to call it in to the fault line on 273666. Maintenance contractor response times are very good.

If you want to speak to one of the engineers in Traffic Control and express any concerns, I can give you direct contact details.

I've sent an email to Traffic Control......No doubt it will be filed in the appropriate place. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Heading toward Grenoside at 1-45 pm today I counted 14 seconds while both sets of lights outside the new retail centre were on red and no traffic moving. :loopy: