Traffic Light Timings

If anybody from Sheffield City Council bothers reading this, could you please let us know which genius has come up with the traffic light timings at Wadsley Bridge Retail Park, because I'm sure a 5 year old could do better.

Tonight traffic was queing all the way back from Wadsley Bridge, onto the Leppings Land roundabout (causing obstructions on the roundabout for people heading from Leppings Lane towards Herries Road) and back past the Wednesday ground.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you only let 5 or 6 cars through at a time on Sheffields 2nd busiest road, then there will be problems.

This was a Friday night which is usually quieter than the rest of the week, so if they leave it like this in future there will be chaos and a lot of people using rat runs.

Before Caddick started work down there the traffic lights used to let the traffic flow perfectly well......Just set them back to how they used to be. :rolleyes:

Is there some Council masterplan against motorists that we don't know about?

Regards

Doom

If anybody from Sheffield City Council bothers reading this, could you please let us know which genius has come up with the traffic light timings at Wadsley Bridge Retail Park, because I'm sure a 5 year old could do better.

Tonight traffic was queing all the way back from Wadsley Bridge, onto the Leppings Land roundabout (causing obstructions on the roundabout for people heading from Leppings Lane towards Herries Road) and back past the Wednesday ground.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you only let 5 or 6 cars through at a time on Sheffields 2nd busiest road, then there will be problems.

This was a Friday night which is usually quieter than the rest of the week, so if they leave it like this in future there will be chaos and a lot of people using rat runs.

Before Caddick started work down there the traffic lights used to let the traffic flow perfectly well......Just set them back to how they used to be. :rolleyes:

Regards

Doom

in answer to your question---get out of your car and use the bus.

Have we now got flying buses that fly over traffic jams?

What a ridiculous response!!

Regards

Doom

Troll post.

Angel.

Have we now got flying buses that fly over traffic jams?

What a ridiculous response!!

Regards

Doom

The logic might be that with less cars the traffic would not be so intense.

The logic might be that with less cars the traffic would not be so intense.

If they don't want people using cars, why not just ban them?

Unfortunately public transport isn't convenient for everybody. I've caught the bus from High Green and it takes near enough an hour to get to town, then I have a further 25 minutes walk to my office.

When the road system works how it is meant to, I take 30 minutes in the car......That's an extra hour per day I spend at work and contribute towards the economy of this country.

The answer shouldn't be to push people onto public transport by making a mess of the road network, it should be to sort it out and at least make it work efficiently.

Regards

Doom

If they don't want people using cars, why not just ban them?

Unfortunately public transport isn't convenient for everybody. I've caught the bus from High Green and it takes near enough an hour to get to town, then I have a further 25 minutes walk to my office.

When the road system works how it is meant to, I take 30 minutes in the car......That's an extra hour per day I spend at work and contribute towards the economy of this country.

The answer shouldn't be to push people onto public transport by making a mess of the road network, it should be to sort it out and at least make it work efficiently.

Regards

Doom

It'll take something special to convince people to use public transport as a preference if they don't need to. The amount of cars obviously has an affect on buses so people use their own transport.

It wasn't even the rush hour, it was the same at 1-30 this afternoon. :confused: :confused:

It'll take something special to convince people to use public transport as a preference if they don't need to. The amount of cars obviously has an affect on buses so people use their own transport.

There's a mathematical treatment which shows that, even if all people in a large group are sane and reasonable, the group as a whole will end up following completely stupid rules. Traffic is one of them; everybody would benefit if people who could use a bus within reason, did so; there'd be so much less traffic on the road that buses would be quick, and those who have no choice but to use a car would also get around a lot faster.

But because huge numbers of people prefer to use a car, we get huge traffic jams and buses take ages to get anywhere, which persuades people to carry on using a car.

There's a mathematical treatment which shows that, even if all people in a large group are sane and reasonable, the group as a whole will end up following completely stupid rules. Traffic is one of them; everybody would benefit if people who could use a bus within reason, did so; there'd be so much less traffic on the road that buses would be quick, and those who have no choice but to use a car would also get around a lot faster.

But because huge numbers of people prefer to use a car, we get huge traffic jams and buses take ages to get anywhere, which persuades people to carry on using a car.

A vicious circle. Sheffield in places seems to favour cramming an awful lot of lights into a small area as well which creates a stop start motoring experience in all directions. I don't have experience of driving in many large towns or cities but Sheffield can be very frustrating at times.

Regards

Doom

If it's only been like that today, it's clearly a fault. You can report traffic signal faults on 2736666 anytime. The maintenance contractors respond very quickly.

It wasn't even the rush hour, it was the same at 1-30 this afternoon. :confused: :confused:

This isn't meant to be a bus v car thread, although it seems to have become one. The simple fact is people are entitled to use cars and choose to do so.

So going back to my original point......Why have they made such a mess of these lights? There's been a problem with the timings since work started on the Retail Park, but today was just stupid......It can't be that complicated to get the timings correct so that traffic can flow in/out of Sheffield more efficiently.......It used to work just fine.

Regards

Doom