What would turn you into a Tory?

The problem is (IMO) that in the UK, you have the choice of voting Tory or voting Labour. (If there is no clear winner and you voted Liberal, you are likely to get [most of] the policies of whichever of the other two parties the Lib Dems manage to join up with.)

I suspect that many people vote against a party, rather than for a party.

Or they simply do not bother to vote.

Each of the parties (and some of the minor parties) has policies I am inclined to support, but none of them would get my wholehearted support.

If, of course, I could vote for a representative - as opposed to somebody who will do what the party bosses tell him or her - then I would vote for a representative who would be likely to consider my views and the views of his/her constituents.

Andyofborg quoted Edmund Burke in another thread: "...it ought to be the happiness and glory of a Representative, to live in the strictest union, the closest correspondence, and the most unreserved communication with his constituents. Their wishes ought to have great weight with him; their opinion high respect; their business unremitted attention. It is his duty to sacrifice his repose, his pleasures, his satisfactions, to theirs; and, above all, ever, and in all cases, to prefer their interest to his own. But, his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgement, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you; to any man,..."

Perhaps the words in bold are why we have political parties. In Burke's day it may have been the case that MPs were wise people who held 'unbiassed opnions', were capable of 'mature judgement' and had enlightened consciences' - or than again, it may not.

We are all aware (because many of them have told us) that nowadays, MPs aren't particularly bright, are incapable of mature judgement and (though they didn't say so in as many words) lack an 'enlightened conscience.'

How many of the people who were supposed to be running the country could not manage to fill in an expense claim form properly? - Not the sharpest tools in the box, are they?

At the last Election, I voted for the Liberal Democrats.. David Cameron's a numpty IMO, and the Labour Party are a joke, and don't even get me started on the likes of UKIP and the BNP.

At the last Election, I voted for the Liberal Democrats.. David Cameron's a numpty IMO,.

And you ended up with a sidekick to a numpty

Ed Miliband and Diane Abbott. If Blair, Brown, and Straw etc had't done it already :)

Most Labourites I know I would like to send back to school...

Absolutely nothing.

The major strength of the Tories is that their core ideology is crystal clear, deeply held and despite occasional departures stable over time. People know what they are about and it works because it pushes the right buttons for a sufficiently large number of voters. They have no incentive to really change and never will. As I could never agree with many of the core beliefs I could never vote for them.

The problem is who else to vote for. Labour are in pieces. The LibDems spent - nobody even bothers to defend them on here any more.

Edited by I1L2T3

And at the end of the day they all p*** in the same pot and look after number one.

Nowt, nothing, bugger all, and did I mention, nothing at all?

Damn... I agreed with Rich about something.

Asked the same question a couple of months ago, nobody could answer

A policy of no intervention in other countries affairs.

A policy which cuts immigration to zero.

A policy that puts money into supporting British industry and farming with aim of becoming self sufficient.

A policy which aims to slowly reduce the UK population to a more sustainable level.

An English parliament.

A law that prevents MPs from lying and working in their self interest.

A policy that moves away from fossil fuels and into greener energy.

A policy which stops benefits for those that do nothing.

Maybe if I were totally selfish and wanted government to spite others rather then serve the common good then I would be a Consevative.

What would turn me into a Tory?

It's quite straightforward, the thing that would turn me into a Tory is if Tory policies benefitted my ends. By the same token if Labour were in my favour I would vote for them..... Are any of us any different? Be honest:):suspect:

Yes, loads of us are different to that.

As for the OP: I would vote tory if they changed absolutely everything they stand for.