New front door lock required

We rent out a house and the agents have told us that the front door lock on it is broken and needs replacing, apparently it is locked shut and can't be opened.

The rental agents have quoted us £192 for one of their contractors to do the work, this includes cutting the old lock in order to remove it, and fitting a new one. This seems a bit steep to me, but not really got any idea about it so just wondering if this seems alright, and if not any recommendations for someone to do the work?

Thanks!

What sort of door? and do you know what sort of lock it is? Sounds expensive!

Its just a normal wooden front door, and the lock is a 5 lever sash lock apparently. I also think it sounds expensive, I think they are saying it's the fact they need to cut the old one as its stuck shut is the reason it's that much.

What sort of door? and do you know what sort of lock it is? Sounds expensive!

Time and effort organising etc.............personally drill through the lock and i'd fit a new lock 20 minute mx DIY job depending on the doors condition.

If you can't source it cheaper, or do the job yourself then pay the £192

Its just a normal wooden front door, and the lock is a 5 lever sash lock apparently. I also think it sounds expensive, I think they are saying it's the fact they need to cut the old one as its stuck shut is the reason it's that much.

in that case I'd attack the door frame. then replace lock make good the frame or replace but then I like to hammer things:)

Have you tried it with one of your keys? Could be their key is damaged.

A locksmith might be able to get the thing undone, then just unscrew it and take the old one one to B@Q or better still, Harrold and sons in Shalesmoor, they will be able to find you one the same size to replace it with.

Ring Harrold and sons, they will get someone out for a more sensible price f you can't get it undone yourself.

I would definitely try it yourself with your own keys before accepting anything they say.

I would definitely try it yourself with your own keys before accepting anything they say.

good point also oil it in case it just needs lubricating

Thanks for the replies, they have told me they have tried lubricating the lock and it still won't budge. I was hoping to take a back seat from the whole landlord thing which is why we pay an agent, I guess that's why you end up paying a premium but still seems a lot. I am also rubbish at DIY so I'd probably do more harm than good!

I don't mind paying the £192, was just wondering if it seemed reasonable and if anyone had recommendations, so will give Harrolds and a few others a call, thanks :-)

Thanks for the replies, they have told me they have tried lubricating the lock and it still won't budge. I was hoping to take a back seat from the whole landlord thing which is why we pay an agent, I guess that's why you end up paying a premium but still seems a lot. I am also rubbish at DIY so I'd probably do more harm than good!

I don't mind paying the £192, was just wondering if it seemed reasonable and if anyone had recommendations, so will give Harrolds and a few others a call, thanks :-)

I'm sure its priced like that as an emergency, I'm sure you could source someone cheaper cutting the lock is easy, if you have a grinder with a Metal Cutting Disc

If you turn up and it unlocks with your key you have saved yourself 200quid. Worth a punt!

If Harrold and Sons can unlock it and replace it for 50quid you saved a weeks rent, reet good! If not I am sure they could cut it and stick a new lock on for a lot less that £200

Where is the house and where do you live? If not far I would give it a go!