Envelope Stuffer Price Per Hour?

Hi guys. I've got a card range coming out and the printer doesn't have an automated service, so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone knew the kind of rate I could charge for a card stuffer (someone to put the cards in the envelopes and seal up the plastic bags).

Or should I charge per job? Per 1000 cards? Etc.

I'd charge by piece rate, which means that you're not then discouraging people who can only work at a certain speed or giving away your profits for anybody who works slowly to line their pockets.

How much is the person going to be doing? Any hand addressing, typing of labels or hand applying things? All of these will affect how quickly the job can be done and therefore how many it is reasonable to expect someone to do per hour.

It's 21,000 (no, really) cards, which need putting with an envelope behind them and then all of it putting in a small poly bag and then sealing down...

That's it. There's no writing or anything, it's simply card + envelope in bag. Job done.

Thanks for the good advice :)

I'll tell you what, while I'm so bored at home with a new baby, I'd do all 21,000 for £200 :|

So if it is likely to take 30 seconds to pick up the 3 elements, put the card and envelope in the bag, seal the bag and put the resulting package into a pile then someone who has pretty standard manual dexterity could do 120 of them in an hour, 100 an hour if you're feeling charitable. That's about 200-210 hours of work.

NMW isn't likely to apply here because the person doing the job is likely to be doing it as a self employed contractor and from talking to various people who are self employed they reckon that they need to have about £10 an hour to get a basic wage, once they've paid all the NI contributions and tax on the work.

So if you're trying to be ethical and give the worker(s) a living wage as well as getting your job done I'd say that adds up to somewhere between £1900 and £2100 for the whole job.

Thanks Medusa. That's the figures I'd come to already. I've done a few runs and with a good speed and some practice, you can do one in 20 seconds (just a tiny bit less).

So I have two options:

1. Pay someone.

2. Have a pizza party with a bunch of people and do it myself.

Lots to think about.

iv done it before it was £25 per thousand hope it helps

I'll do it in a month for a grand and provide you with a receipt for work done.

Have you tried one of the mailing houses, I think there is one in Chesterfield, the name doesn't spring to mind though

I am interested in your job i can do it on weekends and evenings, what ever rate you are offering i will do it for, my son can help me as well, thanks paula

I've done it before for £20 per thousand. Happy to help :)