Ignorant people parking in disabled parking spaces.

Would I be able to park my 4+4 there as I run it on bio fuels?

So long as its in the lowest tax bands (A+B IIRC).

What are your thoughts on Mother and baby spots?

These are fair game in IMO! I'll have one everytime

He was wrong. Yellow lines forbid parking in general, but where it is considered dangerous, loading will also be forbidden - and, as he should have known, where loading is forbidden holders of a disabled badge cannot park.

He knew very well the semantics I am sure, but he had very good reason for taking the principled stance that he did. (If I was to go any further his identity might be known to some, and I don't think that would be fair).

We'd just parked up in the Carver St car park before Xmas when a car rolled into the disabled spot next to the pay meter. As my wife returned with the ticket she pointed out the three lads that got out, and we both stared daggers at them as they strolled off. One of the lads then stopped in his tracks, jogged back, opened the passenger door, opened the glovebox, and then placed a disabled notice on the dash. At this point our blood was just about coming to a boil.

:rant:

Why? How could you tell that they were doing something wrong. This piddles me off no end an makes my blood boil. My father suffers from multiple sclerosis and can walk no further than 100 yards and can't drive and can't use a mobility scooter because he can't get it in and out of his house.

However he does like to be as independent as possible and my Mum or brother will drop him off at the pub or library or if he's feeling very brave for a hobble into a shop or two. We usually have to walk into meet him wherever he is as he sometimes needs a hand to get out to the car. And there is always some old busy body shouting at them and sticking their nose in saying that they shouldn't be there when they HAVE the badge and are using it legitimately.

Ditto when my Dad was first ill. He could park his car and walk into the shop fine but by the time he'd walked round Sainsbury's he would be really struggling and in pain and need to get to the car quickly. But there was always an amateur doctor who had no training but could diagnose him as completely healthy with one glance and would harangue him for using the space and the badge.

If someone has a badge it's none of your business, you're not the enforcer and it's not up to you to decide from a glance whether or not someone should be using the badge.

My mum gets this all the time and she finds it really upsetting. How would you feel if you had to put up with dirty looks and people having a go at you every time you went to pick your disabled husband up? She knows what a precious resource it is and she doesn't misuse it and doesn't deserve to be treated like that. As far as you know these lads were in the same boat.

Yes, my wife and myself were very quick to judge.

But I will offer you 100-1 odds that the three lads, who struggled to clamber out of the Micra, were picking up their disabled gran. There was an outside chance.

:hihi:

No you don't know. You just don't. End of.

Why? How could you tell that they were doing something wrong. This piddles me off no end an makes my blood boil. My father suffers from multiple sclerosis and can walk no further than 100 yards and can't drive and can't use a mobility scooter because he can't get it in and out of his house.

However he does like to be as independent as possible and my Mum or brother will drop him off at the pub or library or if he's feeling very brave for a hobble into a shop or two. We usually have to walk into meet him wherever he is as he sometimes needs a hand to get out to the car. And there is always some old busy body shouting at them and sticking their nose in saying that they shouldn't be there when they HAVE the badge and are using it legitimately.

Ditto when my Dad was first ill. He could park his car and walk into the shop fine but by the time he'd walked round Sainsbury's he would be really struggling and in pain and need to get to the car quickly. But there was always an amateur doctor who had no training but could diagnose him as completely healthy with one glance and would harangue him for using the space and the badge.

If someone has a badge it's none of your business, you're not the enforcer and it's not up to you to decide from a glance whether or not someone should be using the badge.

My mum gets this all the time and she finds it really upsetting. How would you feel if you had to put up with dirty looks and people having a go at you every time you went to pick your disabled husband up? She knows what a precious resource it is and she doesn't misuse it and doesn't deserve to be treated like that. As far as you know these lads were in the same boat.

Its a shame that some people do abuse the system and that spoils it for the honest people like yourself, my mum has osteoporosis and she can not walk very far at all her badge is vital for her,

Edited by Shogun

The thing that annoys me most are able bodied people who park in disabled parking spaces, this is some thing I never really thought much about but the other day I saw this poor man with one leg and crutches struggling to get to a door because some ignorant person had parked in the disabled space,they should have points on there licence and be find for parking in disabled parking spaces,

What about when an able bodied person with a blue badge parks in a disabled space?

No you don't know. You just don't. End of.

Holding suspicions about the actions of people is natural and unavoidable, but I would never confront anyone and always leave it to the enforcement officers.

If my suspicions of these three lads offended you so much, I apologise, but presumably you think that the Blue Badge misuse hotlines, operated by many councils, are also offensive in nature?

:huh:

Edited by quisquose

When ever I use facilties that have disabled parking bays. All the conventional spaces are full, but hardly anyones using the disabled bays? In some cases venues have gone OTT in supplying the facilities.

What about when an able bodied person with a blue badge parks in a disabled space?

Well they mite be picking a disabled person up,but the person I saw was a young woman going into a Tesco shop I was sat in my truck and I saw here shopping on her own there was one space and a ramp for disabled access she not only made the poor man have to walk around her car he also had to walk past my truck and across a crossing to get to the shop because she blocked the ramp for him to get past the wall that was in the front of the shop.

My husband has just become eligable for a blue badge and it's been a godsend to us to be honest. At first glance he too looks fairly fit but due to his illness he can't walk very far without suffering appalling pain and has also been stopped from driving as his perception is impaired. So I now do all the driving, dropping him off as near as I can to where he needs to be ,parking up using the badge,then running back to him before he can wander off. I have had people glare at me but thankfully no one has said anything as yet. If we go to the supermarket he won't let me park in a blue bay if it's the last one. Always saying there is someone who might need it more than him. Remember, not all disabilities are visible and not all able bodied blue badge parkers are lazy scumbags..... Though some are !!

Holding suspicions about the actions of people is natural and unavoidable, but I would never confront anyone and always leave it to the enforcement officers.

If my suspicions of these three lads offended you so much, I apologise, but presumably you think that the Blue Badge misuse hotlines, operated by many councils, are also offensive in nature?

:huh:

No. But those badge helplines are operated by people who are informed about why the badge has been issued, what the terms of use are and why somebody using it may appear not to be disabled. They also deal with the reports in a professional manner and PRIVATELY rather than haranguing people in public or giving them dirty looks.

Those helplines are useful for tracking down genuine misuse but far too many people get self righteous over use of disabled spaces when they have no idea of the issues concerned. Just because someone APPEARS not to be disabled doesn't mean that they are not using the badge legitimately and the helpline is the correct way to deal with it.