"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

Nobody has mentioned heart attacks:confused:

If somebody is in cardiac arrest you can blow 15l/min of pure oxygen into their lungs but without compressions its going to do diddly

I think its recommended to provide breaths for a short period while getting a casualty out of the water and then full CPR..I'm not only talking about heart attacks but for drowning...

I think its recommended to provide breaths for a short period while getting a casualty out of the water and then full CPR..I'm not only talking about heart attacks but for drowning...

If someone is having a heart attack then no CPR should be performed, unless they arrest.

If someone is in cardiac arrest then breaths alone will not do any good whatsoever, the oxygen will not reach the tissues and stopping extrication from the water to perform them will decrease chance of survival.

If someone is having a heart attack then no CPR should be performed, unless they arrest.

If someone is in cardiac arrest then breaths alone will not do any good whatsoever, the oxygen will not reach the tissues and stopping extrication from the water to perform them will decrease chance of survival.

You keep saying the same thing. But I'm not talking about that and never have...

The method of providing breaths while getting the casualty to the side does not delay getting them out of the water..its done while getting them to the side...

Perhaps you should rewrite all the manuals on Lifeguarding...:hihi:

You keep saying the same thing. But I'm not talking about that and never have...

The method of providing breaths while getting the casualty to the side does not delay getting them out of the water..its done while getting them to the side...

Perhaps you should rewrite all the manuals on Lifeguarding...:hihi:

This thread is about CPR, when else would you perform CPR:confused:

We were taught to provide breathes while getting a casualty to the side, while still in the water. The course must have been a waste of time then...I'll send a letter of complaint that they've wasted my time...:hihi:

This is because water entering the trachea can cause laryngospasm or closure of the airway; rescue breaths should always be given to someone who may be drowning prior to attempting full CPR as it may release the laryngospasm and start them breathing on their own, as they may not be in cardiac arrest :)

This thread is about CPR, when else would you perform CPR:confused:

I can't be bothered..bye....:D

I can't be bothered..bye....:D

Cheerio, if i were you i'd seek a refund on the cost of that course:)

What is needed in this country is access to more defibrillator. Currently they are over £1100 per unit. Bring down the prices so more places could have one on standby. They are readily available in America. A defibrillator is realistically the only thing that will get the heart beating again. CPR even done with a kiss only buys more time so this life saving machine can be used.

You can get a one day first aid course for around £40

What is needed in this country is access to more defibrillator. Currently they are over £1100 per unit. Bring down the prices so more places could have one on standby. They are readily available in America. A defibrillator is realistically the only thing that will get the heart beating again. CPR even done with a kiss only buys more time so this life saving machine can be used.

You can get a one day first aid course for around £40

You are right about the availability of portable defibrillators.

Interestingly, when you watch hospital dramas and you see the straightish ECG line on the monitor, that isn't actually a shockable ECG rhythm. The straight line indicates that there isn't any electrical activity in the heart and as such administering an electric shock to the heart would have no effect.

You are right about the availability of portable defibrillators.

Interestingly, when you watch hospital dramas and you see the straightish ECG line on the monitor, that isn't actually a shockable ECG rhythm. The straight line indicates that there isn't any electrical activity in the heart and as such administering an electric shock to the heart would have no effect.

Dont get me started on TV hospital dramas.

I'm pretty sure the programme Casualty is responsible for increasing people's expectations of what we can actually do!

The patients usually get 6 chest compressions and then 'come round' and are seen drinking a cup of tea 10 minutes later!

I used to scream at the TV seeing the medical errors...so dont watch it anymore.

A line needs to be drawn under this thread.

Unqualified opinions count for nothing and confuse those genuinely wanting to know the right thing to do.

It is not a vinny jones ad, its a British heart foundation ad.

The advice is based on current, up to date evidence based guidelines, published in Oct 2010 by the resuscitation council UK.

If you want to know more look at http://www.resus.org.UK and get yourself on a recognised basic life support course.

A line needs to be drawn under this thread.

Unqualified opinions count for nothing and confuse those genuinely wanting to know the right thing to do.

It is not a vinny jones ad, its a British heart foundation ad.

The advice is based on current, up to date evidence based guidelines, published in Oct 2010 by the resuscitation council UK.

If you want to know more look at http://www.resus.org.UK and get yourself on a recognised basic life support course.

If you have read the my first post,and post 49 you will see that i provided links and clearly stated what the thread referred to,but did ask for views.Many posts have provided informative contributions,including your own.

If people have become confused i am sorry for opening this thread. it is probably true some posts have been misleading,though well intentioned. It would have been preferrable though if people had read through the thread before posting comments.

I can sometimes be flippant,but i do take this topic seriously and i have reason for feeling strongly about it.

I will state again that the thread is a reference to the Vinnie Jones advert,in conjuction with the British Heart Foundation.

I am happy to leave it to the discretion of the Mods to decide wether the thread should be closed.