"no kissing" CPR advert what do you think?

a reference to this advert was in the news today. it was also mentioned that the British Heart Foundation are in favour of a more simpler CPR technique that could be effective,as it appears that so many people have not been trained in first aid.

members of the public,who are first on the scene to such an emergency are often afraid to attempt CPR (even if they have a little knowledge) because they don't feel confident enough to assist.

the advert is stressing the importance of chest compression.

would you make an attempt to save someones life?

what do you think?

Getting air into the patient is important, I think it's pretty irresponsible for them to have put this out because effectively what they're saying is "If you don't know how to do CPR, just do the chest compressions". Which is fine but..

If someone is walking by and sees somebody giving chest compressions, they might just walk on by thinking that the situation is being dealt with, when in fact they might be able to deliver a better standard of first aid by administering oxygen through breaths as well as performing chest compressions.

I think the advice is, if you are trained, perform CPR as you were trained, including the breaths.

This is new announcement is aimed at laypeople.

Edited by Forumosaurus

Getting air into the patient is important, I think it's pretty irresponsible for them to have put this out because effectively what they're saying is "If you don't know how to do CPR, just do the chest compressions". Which is fine but..

If someone is walking by and sees somebody giving chest compressions, they might just walk on by thinking that the situation is being dealt with, when in fact they might be able to deliver a better standard of first aid by administering oxygen through breaths.

I'd read that the movement of the chest up and drown through CPR promotes enough gaseous exchange to keep the patient alive, and the current thought is that fast and regular chest compressions is vitally important to survival.

I'd read that the movement of the chest up and drown through CPR promotes enough gaseous exchange to keep the patient alive, and the current thought is that fast and regular chest compressions is vitally important to survival.

Probably right in some cases but there are surely too many variables to be able to confidently say that this would be more effective than conventional CPR, otherwise this method would be taught as best practice in first aid courses.

I was listening to a full discussion on the meaning of this on the radio earlier on, and the explanation was that this does not in any way replace full ABC and resuscitation, which will remain the gold standard.

Apparently only 1 in 3 people who suffers a cardiac arrest for any reason has anyone attempting to resuscitate them during the really important early phase, and that is what they're trying to get through to people- even if you don't have any teaching you can still do something that may save a life, and that is to sing 'Staying Alive' in your head and do compressions in time to it.

For anybody able or aware enough to also breathe for someone else, or if there are two people to share the work, and to check and align the airway, then that's great, but the emphasis is to not do nothing.

Probably right in some cases but there are surely too many variables to be able to confidently say that this would be more effective than conventional CPR, otherwise this method would be taught as best practice in first aid courses.

It was. The emphasise is on the CPR and trying to maintain enough of a blood pressure to get the oxygenated blood around the body.

I was listening to a full discussion on the meaning of this on the radio earlier on, and the explanation was that this does not in any way replace full ABC and resuscitation, which will remain the gold standard.

Apparently only 1 in 3 people who suffers a cardiac arrest for any reason has anyone attempting to resuscitate them during the really important early phase, and that is what they're trying to get through to people- even if you don't have any teaching you can still do something that may save a life, and that is to sing 'Staying Alive' in your head and do compressions in time to it.

For anybody able or aware enough to also breathe for someone else, or if there are two people to share the work, and to check and align the airway, then that's great, but the emphasis is to not do nothing.

Unfortunately most news outlets picking up on this story are irresponsibly headlining with things like "Don't give kiss of life" etc.

And obviously many people wont read the full story.

i was really thinking of the bystander (first on the scene) and the importance of immediate and rapid action.

i think publicity about rescusitation should be be more widely shown especially when it appears that there is sometimes conflicting explanations about the technique from the Professional bodies.

Frankly I'm amazed that such a blatantly homophobic advert has been allowed, with Vinnie Jones advising , "but no kissing, you only kiss the missus on the lips".

Frankly I'm amazed that such a blatantly homophobic advert has been allowed, with Vinnie Jones advising , "but no kissing, you only kiss the missus on the lips".

really?......that never occured to me.

Edited by janie48

Personally, I think 'First Aid' should be taught in school as a compulsory part of the curriculum. It makes sense to me, or am I daydreaming?

Personally, I think 'First Aid' should be taught in school as a compulsory part of the curriculum. It makes sense to me, or am I daydreaming?

in their final year at school, yes why not.

they are quite old enough not to be troubled by it.