Crookes another food outlet

Just one other thing. On one of your other threads you are complaining about the number of empty shops in Crookes. You stated:

"as a shopkeeper in crookes we now have 5 units to let... cut the rates or drop the rents.......or guess what...... therell be 6 or 7"

And on this thread you are complaining that a deli is opening. Errr...that'll be a shop opening in Crookes then.

Oh, and by the way, the rents are dropped....for charity shops. Which keeps a business premises from going empty.

Are you confused?

if there is an abundance of cafe/deli type places in crookes it is because people demand them. We live in a country that operates a free market. Last time I looked most of these places do a pretty good trade.

I like the choice!

Fully agree. Embrace the free market. Business is just supply & demand.

Its what allows you to have your shop Craig.

whats a deli got to do with a threat to my carpet shop:loopy: crookes needs a travel agent, a shoe shop, diy shop, fish stall. butchers, owt exept another food outlet i dont want to see charity shops fold ...i want em to pay their way on the rates etc...........

Edited by craig12

wow 6 thanks for that , 6 too many and too add insult to injury some give em a car to prance about in with the logo on the sides ....total **** take..who pays for the car

craig, you are a very bitter man, one day you may need the resources of one of the charities.

as for deli = bring it on

Have you ever thought that having a few charity shops there might draw people into the area to shop? Better than a load of empty shops would anyway. Admittedly not many of them are likely to stop off for a bit of carpet, but at least there's some footfall.

If there are too many food shops for the area then they won't sell enough and will soon close. These businesses only survive when people use them!

whats a deli got to do with a threat to my carpet shop:loopy: crookes needs a travel agent, a shoe shop, diy shop, fish stall. butchers, owt exept another food outlet i dont want to see charity shops fold ...i want em to pay their way on the rates etc...........

If it needed them, and business-minded people knew there was a profit to be made opening such shops, don't you think they'd be opening them?

You've got to move with the times i'm afraid, the masses chose to shop in huge, cheap, convenient places decades ago, giant businesses that can undercut your local store for years without feeling the pinch.

No one is going to pay premium retail prices for stuff anymore, or try and shop where they can't park.

You never know Craig, the staff at the Deli might need new carpets for their homes at some point...

Better to start with good relations rather than negative ones eh?!

Travel agencies are in decline, and I can't see how one at Crookes would be in any way successful. There's a shoe shop in Broomhill, one on Langsett Road and more in Hillsborough/Town, and I thought there were DIY, butchers and fish shops in Crookes? I know the DIY one moved location but I thought it was still there? As a veggie I never pay much attention to fish/butchers but I thought Crookes had one of each not that long ago? If they've all gone then that surely indicates not much need for them?

I think a deli seems a reasonable idea for the area, if it can be different to the other food shops there it has a good chance.

Fish stall and butchers, the last time i looked both these were classed as food!

There was both a travel agent and fish shop, both of which have closed, crookes just needs shops that are occupied. Charity shops do pay rent, sometimes reduced, but often on a short contract if the landlord is struggling to fill the shop. All business are struggling at the moment and it is up to each owner to look at what they can do to maximise opportunities and get customers in their store, inovative trading is the key, what can you do to get people into your store? How about a book exchange in part of your store?

Fish stall and butchers, the last time i looked both these were classed as food!

There was both a travel agent and fish shop, both of which have closed, crookes just needs shops that are occupied. Charity shops do pay rent, sometimes reduced, but often on a short contract if the landlord is struggling to fill the shop. All business are struggling at the moment and it is up to each owner to look at what they can do to maximise opportunities and get customers in their store, inovative trading is the key, what can you do to get people into your store? How about a book exchange in part of your store?

Or a pick up point for Amazon parcels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!