Jacket Potatoes

What type of potato is great for jacket spuds, I have used those universal white ones but they never come out right and taste a bit rubbery and stodgy.

When I cook them I soften them up in the microwave on full power for 10 minutes without pricking or denting the surface skin at all, then after put them in the oven to finish off the crisping process for a further 10 minutes on high heat.

Is this a good way to cook them, I have also tried baking potatoes and they seem to cook better but there must be a better variety to us overall.

Vivaldi or Maris Piper are good, but the microwave might be the problem. They're best if baked properly.

I tend to buy "bakers" (whatever variety they are) and I also give them a few minutes in the microwave if I'm pushed for time before allowing to crisp up in the oven.

A drizzle of olive oil helps the skins to crisp in the oven.

Marfona

We have a second choice too, but that eludes me at the moment

our panasonic dimension 4 had a jacket potato setting, which combi-ed them perfectly

I don't think we've done them in the new fan oven yet

Estima!

Knew it was lurking there somewhere

What type of potato is great for jacket spuds, I have used those universal white ones but they never come out right and taste a bit rubbery and stodgy.

When I cook them I soften them up in the microwave on full power for 10 minutes without pricking or denting the surface skin at all, then after put them in the oven to finish off the crisping process for a further 10 minutes on high heat.

Is this a good way to cook them, I have also tried baking potatoes and they seem to cook better but there must be a better variety to us overall.

At what temperature do you set the oven at? I've not had a jacket spud done in the oven for years due to thinking they needed over an hour to cook.

I think the Rooster ones with the red skins are really nice as jacket spuds. If I've got time the best way to do a jacket is whack the temp up to 220° prick the potatoes all over and pop in the oven for at least an hour if you want really thick crispy skins. Might take longer if it's a big potato. Microwaved potatoes just aren't as good in my opinion. Even started in the microwave and finished in the oven, still not as nice as baking in the oven from the off.

I usually just buy the loose 'baking Poatoes' from the supermarket, I've never taken too much notice of what sort they are. I used to cook mine in the Microwave but thought they never turned out right :gag:

I just bake mine the the oven now and dont bother with the microwave.

I wash them and then prick them(dont know if you really have to do that) then I rub a bit of oil on the skins and sprinkle with rock salt, then bake them in the oven for approx 1.5 hours at 190 degrees

This makes the skins lovely and crisp..and tasty :love:

The loose 'baking' potatoes are often Estima and can also be Saxon. Maris Piper are great if you like to be able to add a lot of butter - which for many is the point of baked potatoes! I personally use Marfona as in my view they have more flavour than Estima which tend to be chosen more for the uniformity of look rather than flavour aswell as being a disease-resistant strain good for commercial growers. Avoid Nadine at any cost as they are too high in water content to behave properly as a baker!

I haven't tried Rooster as they tend to be expensive and you are really only buying the trademarked Albert Bartlett name, but Red potatoes such as Romano will also bake well.

I personally think there is no substitute for an hour in a hottish oven. I rub the skins with a little oil and sprinkle on some sea salt. If I'm pushed for time I cut them smaller or push an all-metal knife into the centre and leave it in for the duration of the bake. This helps to conduct heat through the the centre of the potatoes.

You can't beat Roosters for baked potatoes, and they are not dear as Chrispin said, they are £1 for 4 at Tesco, and this week they have dropped down to 85p. By the way, they make lovely chips as well.