House Music Scene?

Hello, I am new to the forum. (please bear in mind that I have not lived in Sheffield long)

Me and my friend on New Years Eve (after we had finished work at 1am) decided that we wanted to go for a few drinks at a decent house venue in Sheffield. Another friend had recommended FWD as a venue for house music so we set off in search of it.

On entering the venue, we were soon greeted with your typical Sheffield 'baseline'. Although many people were enjoying it and it seemed like the perfect venue for this kind of music, I was left wondering whether Sheffield had anything that would suit my tastes.

I have stumbled on a few decent nights at the Harley but that seems to be it.

Does house work in Sheffield? If so, where can I find it?

Or will I always have to travel to other cities to satisfy my music needs? :help:

To be honest, to get a decent night out away from R&B, cheesy music, or bassline, you might be better off venturing out of Sheffield these days, sadly :(

Not really sure how to use that site to get what I'm after.

I used to live in Leeds and the house scene there is epic. It frustrates me that Sheffield is so centered around baseline, dnb, dubstep and rnb... oh and repetitive chart s**t!

I've seen the grand scale 'wax:on' advertised but I'm really after the smaller, 'house party' style events that go on until 6am. With credible house tunes. Not commercial electro.

I've just searched for all types house events in Sheffield... Went all the way across to April, and theres nothing listed :(

And if you ask a Sheffielder on a night out where you can find House music, they'll send you somewhere that plays bassline house :hihi:

As much as I like bassline, and loved attending Niche (the original on Sidney Street, not the pants copies of it), it does get boring when its all you can get

I've just searched for all types house events in Sheffield... Went all the way across to April, and theres nothing listed :(

Wow! Shocking! Do you think that kind of thing just doesn't work in Sheffield then?

It's such a shame :(

Most things don't work in Sheffield :hihi:

All the decent clubs have closed, reopened, and closed again. The nightlife has gotten pretty bad, compared to what it once was. Just because theres no events listed on Dontstayin though, doesn't necessarily mean there are none at all. I don't know of anywhere that plays it myself, unless its a special event night, they happen now and again.

Leeds is a far better night out, although I hate to admit it :hihi:

I’m not sure what you consider as bassline, but the music on nye and every other event at Forward is a long way from bassline ;) The DJs on NYE were Sheffield legends Craig Watt and Supermarket DJs who played a mixture of house classics from 2000 to the present.

Since we launched in September, our weekly residents have been D. Ramirez, Sonny Wharton, Riley & Durrant, Micky Slim alongside a special guest appearance from Kim Fai...

We’ve got loads more great events lined up this year which will be posted on this forum as well as our facebook page – facebook.com/forwardsheffield

I’ve not been clubbing for years and I agree, Leeds is amazing. on the 223rd December we were out and about. I stumbled across a club, near the old fire station, it used to be a Indian restaurant. not sure what it was called. anyway we went in, got in free, the bloke use to be some sort of manager @ crasher when it was about. the club started off empty, we were the only people there by a few other couples.

any it turned out to be an amazing, night, rammed to the rafters, the tunes were just quality from start to finish. the people were spot on,

there will be another good night on shortly, details below

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/319190724780817/

Downlo @ Dan Sane Presents Efdemin ( Cocoon/Perlon/Dial )

Hi Bladesufc1 - It sounds like you were at Forward on the 23rd!!! Pleased you had a good night :)

Have you tried Lions Lair, they play house music and are open until the early hours of the morning, Friday`s and Saturday`s are the main nights.

If you are on facebook they have a group with details.

Lions Lair is down the side of John Lewis