Butter or Margarine?

That's so obvious!!! But clearly genius! :clap: You ain't helping my wedding dress diet tha knows!!!

Wedding dress diet..:o No wonder you use butter.

Try the mini dress one its a lot less calories. :hihi:

That's so obvious!!! But clearly genius! :clap:

Do please remember to remove it from the foil pack, if it comes in one...

....Been there, done that, broken microwave. :hihi:

Try 10 seconds in the microwave to make it spreadable.The butter,that is,not you.

Don't forget to only put the amount you need in the microwave - not continuously re-heating the entire tub.

Don't eat either butter or margarine. :gag:

When having sandwiches just have the filling only don't have any spread of any description. Does make life difficult though as can't buy pre-packed sandwiches from anywhere as they all have either butter or margarine on them. And when I go into a cafe if I ask for sandwiches always have to ask for them to be prepared without butter and, yes, I do get some strange looks.

Can't stand mash potatoes with butter in them either - :gag:

Bertolli (sp??) in our house-sometimes get butter, and love it, but OH insists it be left out of the fridge in a butter dish-it's one of the only things we disagree on and often have mini rows about such things up the dairy produce aisle :hihi::hihi:

I never put butter in the fridge-what are you thinking:rant:

I love Normandy butter.Beurre d'Isigny with its lumps of rock salt in it is fantastic on a crusty baguette with apricot jam.The combination of creamy,salty and sweet is beautiful.It's one of the things I look forward too most when going to France!

Your post reminds me of travelling through France 1962, somewhere between Abbeville and Cahors we got lost and had to spend the night at an old off the beaten track farmhouse/hostel. The next morning we breakfasted on superb French coffee, fresh bread and marvellous butter, but the piece de resistance was the jam. This jam was in a two tone brown earthenware/stoneware pot/jar holding I would estimate at least a pint and a half of jam when full. The jam was a deep purple colour, almost black (I thought it was mixed fruit) some of said jam had congealed and set, encrusted black on the pot's/jar's rim. My companions thought it looked disgusting and wouldn't eat it, I thought it looked rustic and got stuck into it. It was rustic, It was also beautiful, never had jam like it before or since. Breakfast this morning, toast with President butter and Hartley's Olde English Thick Cut marmalade, very nice it was too, but I was thinking of that breakfast I had in that shabby chic French Farmhouse.

Your post reminds me of travelling through France 1962, somewhere between Abbeville and Cahors we got lost and had to spend the night at an old off the beaten track farmhouse/hostel. The next morning we breakfasted on superb French coffee, fresh bread and marvellous butter, but the piece de resistance was the jam. This jam was in a two tone brown earthenware/stoneware pot/jar holding I would estimate at least a pint and a half of jam when full. The jam was a deep purple colour, almost black (I thought it was mixed fruit) some of said jam had congealed and set, encrusted black on the pot's/jar's rim. My companions thought it looked disgusting and wouldn't eat it, I thought it looked rustic and got stuck into it. It was rustic, It was also beautiful, never had jam like it before or since. Breakfast this morning, toast with President butter and Hartley's Olde English Thick Cut marmalade, very nice it was too, but I was thinking of that breakfast I had in that shabby chic French Farmhouse.

If it was nearer to Cahors there's every chance the "black" jam was cherry or prune.The Lot valley is a big cherry and plum growing area.On holiday there a few years ago we couldn't help but visit the Musee de Prunneaux that was advertised by the roadside.Typicaly French,a museum for everything!

It's always the simplest most unexpected things that remain in the memory longest,isn't it?Two years ago,motorcycling through France,we stopped for coffee in a tiny village way off the main road.When asked if any food was available the old guy went to the fridge in his own kitchen and offered us a plate of home-made pate,some pickles and some home made bread.I've never had a better meal! He wanted to charge us 5 euro including the coffee.I gave him 15 and I still think we got a bargain! I wish I could remember exactly where it was!

Reading through this thread it seems that Lurpak is very popular. I have used it for years and was absolutely delighted back in the 60's when I found I could still buy it in Singapore when I was there for 2 years. It was like having a bit of home with me even though it did cost a lot more. Having said that though, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Best Butter".....you know, the loose butter that came from a barrel at the corner shops:?: I think all I knew was that it was Danish but it always referred to as Best Butter.

Reading through this thread it seems that Lurpak is very popular. I have used it for years and was absolutely delighted back in the 60's when I found I could still buy it in Singapore when I was there for 2 years. It was like having a bit of home with me even though it did cost a lot more. Having said that though, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Best Butter".....you know, the loose butter that came from a barrel at the corner shops:?: I think all I knew was that it was Danish but it always referred to as Best Butter.

My Gran used to buy the most wonderful pale butter from the Farm Shop on Park hill, back when I was a young child. Oh, the bliss of eating that butter on a slab of "real" (uncut, crusty!) bread (le sigh!*).

I've never seen another butter as pale, not even Lurpak, which is my favourite, (seeing as that brand of butter is not available!)- it was the palest of pale, almost translucent. And the taste was heavenly.

Way, way back in the 1960's, my father used to have a brand called Adam's Best Butter, which was his, and his alone ( ;) ) it was bought, specially for him, as his treat. I remember the wrapper. It was lemon yellow-and-white, with a picture of a cow, in an oval, on it. I've not seen the brand in thirty years or more. I don't know whether the brand was subsumed into another company's brand.

I don't like the flavour of the yellower butters, such as Anchor.

anyone know where you can buy slab butter. thats the real stuff!

My Gran used to buy the most wonderful pale butter from the Farm Shop on Park hill, back when I was a young child. Oh, the bliss of eating that butter on a slab of "real" (uncut, crusty!) bread (le sigh!*).

I've never seen another butter as pale, not even Lurpak, which is my favourite, (seeing as that brand of butter is not available!)- it was the palest of pale, almost translucent. And the taste was heavenly.

Way, way back in the 1960's, my father used to have a brand called Adam's Best Butter, which was his, and his alone ( ;) ) it was bought, specially for him, as his treat. I remember the wrapper. It was lemon yellow-and-white, with a picture of a cow, in an oval, on it. I've not seen the brand in thirty years or more. I don't know whether the brand was subsumed into another company's brand.

I don't like the flavour of the yellower butters, such as Anchor.

Adams are still based in Leek but use different brands since a certain American sitcom based on a strange family deterred purchasers.