Brompton folding bike

I would definitely say you need the six-speed with the low gear option if you are going to ride it extensively around Sheffield. Having said that you can always fold it up and take it on the bus/tram when the going gets rough - that's the point of it. Edinburgh bike co-op sell them as well as James's who don't seem very positive about them and will try to sell you a Dahon - don't be deterred, the B. is a better option if you are going to fold it a lot.

Seems quite commendable of them, as the Dahons are cheaper than the Brompton, and they tend to have a more suitable selection of gears (derailers) then the Brompton where Sheffield (hilly) is concerned.

I have a 3 speed brompton and cycle around Sheffield. I have also cycled coast to coast on it. I love it. It folds easily and is light enough to carry around and small enough to hide under your desk at work. Other half commutes on the train with his brompton (cycling both ends on the train) and confirms it is the best bike for commuting. We brought ours about 8 years ago on ebay in excellent condition. Once you are a established commuter, come and join us at the Brompton World Championship in Oxford.

Hi I have a 3 speed Brompton and it is fine for most of the hills in Sheffield but if you get your self down to Edinburgh bikes Broadfield road they will let you take one out on a test ride

and if you speak :|to Alan he will sort you out they are very good with Bromptons

I'd be interested in knowing more details about what 'fine for most of the hills in Sheffield' means.

What about the steep hills like Rutland rd, Crookesmoor rd etc?

I've done a fair bit of riding round sheffield on a single speed and hills like that are really tough on one gear- doable, and, great if fitness is the priority, but, I had to conclude that, for general commuting, a single speed is not a viable option in Sheffield.

I've never had experience of the 3-speed internal hub gear systems- so, could you give some thoughts on it's suitability for general commuting in sheffield, bearing in mind that, once out of the flat city center area, hills like the ones mentioned above are unavoidable.

In the past I have come close to getting a brompton, as, it clearly has the best fold and smallest folded size of the main folding bikes, but went with a dahon due to it's cheaper price and 6 gear deraillers- but one factor was also doubts about the suitability of the 3 geared Brompton for Sheffield.

So it'd be good to know if the 3 speed Brompton can handle Sheffields tougher hills adequately.

Hi I

have cycled up to crooks with my 3 speed brompton and the hill by the side of re cycle bike and both me and my wife have got up them, I am 59 years old and my wife is 51 , but if the gears are a problem the price of a new 6 speed Brompton is about £60 more than the 3 speed

but if you require a folding Bike it has to be a Brompton,the dahon folds is not as good and will not last as long as the Brompton and the re sale price of the Brompton is very good :|

I have a 3 speed and can just about ride it up to Hangingwater road from the train station. I wouldn't really like to ride it up the hill any further though, as when you start pulling on the bars, you worry they might snap.

I also lowered the gearing by changing the rear cog, which helps.

I do some work up in the North East occasionally and was considering taking the Brompton on the train and riding up through Gateshead from Newcastle train station. However the hills are just as bad as Sheffield, so I now store a road bike up there, which I find is a much better ride.

I also used to ride my Brompton around Norfolk which is fairly flat, but I found an 8 mile commute each way to be the maximum I really want to spend on it.

They are great bikes for taking on trains and short commutes, but quite harsh compared to a full size bike.

Has anyone on the forum got a Brompton folding bike? I was wondering what the 3 speed model (M3l) was like to ride on the hills around Sheffield.

Thanks

Just bourght my new Brompton from Edinbourgh Bikes of Sheffield 300 broadfield rd they were so helpfull I got to go out on a 20mints test ride on a New Brompton but I was so happy with the Bike I just new I was going to have to have one after the first 100 yards

I have orderd a M6L in Orange the Bike is so cool so cool just cool :love::love:

Just bourght my new Brompton from Edinbourgh Bikes of Sheffield 300 broadfield rd they were so helpfull I got to go out on a 20mints test ride on a New Brompton but I was so happy with the Bike I just new I was going to have to have one after the first 100 yards

I have orderd a M6L in Orange the Bike is so cool so cool just cool :love::love:

for got to say thanks to Alan And Miles from EBC Sheffield

Spend £90 on your CBT and ride a motorbike, cheap as chips.

Lacks many of the benefits of a bicycle though.

And, though it may be 'cheap as chips', it's not as cheap as buying and running a bicycle.

Plus, statistically, rsik of death and serious injury is much lower on a bike.

Bromptons are cool so dont put up with any think other than a Brompton Yes they are a lot of money and trying to get hold of a secondhand one is a bit like finding rocking horse ****, but they are out there just keep looking but you will pay nearly as much for a good second hand one as you would pay for a new one .

just think of the biger picture you get a new one for lets say £950 you keep it in good condition say for 5 years put it on ebay or some other site ,and you will get any think up to £500 to £600 pound for it and then get a nother new one it will have cost you less than £2.00 a week what other bike will do that for you

you also get that big kid feelling every time you go out on the Bike it a bit like the old VW Beatle thing every time you pass a nother Brompton you are sure to get a wave or a smile from the other person be male or female

what a Bike :hihi::hihi:

Has anyone on the forum got a Brompton folding bike? I was wondering what the 3 speed model (M3l) was like to ride on the hills around Sheffield.

Thanks

Hi there is a Brompton Ride in Sheffield on 20:/04/13 it starts at 13.30 at the railway station it is organised by London Brompton Club And the Edinburgh Bicycle co op and the Friday night club and Brompton. All Brompton riders welcome a prize for best Brompton it will be 20 miles a easy Ride

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 23:04 ----------

How many Brompton Bikes are there in Sheffield

Hi there is a Brompton Ride in Sheffield on 20:/04/13 it starts at 13.30 at the railway station it is organised by London Brompton Club And the Edinburgh Bicycle co op and the Friday night club and Brompton. All Brompton riders welcome a prize for best Brompton it will be 20 miles a easy Ride

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 23:04 ----------

How many Brompton Bikes are there in Sheffield

This years Sheffield Brompton ride is on Saturday 26th April 2014 last year we got over 40 Brompton on the ride we are hoping for a few more this year,, the event will be sponcered by Edinburgh Bicycles and Brompton again . We will be meeting at the Sheffield Railway station again time to be set later feel free to contact me at [email protected]