Brompton folding bike

If you want lower gears, ask the shop to put a smaller chainwheel or bigger back sprocket on. Then you can still have a 3 speed and climb the hills. You may not end up with a high top end gear, but you'll probably be freewheeling rather than revving it anyhow.

6 speed over 3 will add complexity, weight and cost

I saw a second hand one advertised in the newsagents window at Broomhill, but can't remember any of the detail, sorry

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm thinking of purchasing a Brompton bike.

Does anyone know how they compare to other brands of folding bike like Dahon in terms of value for money? It seems like other bikes are lighter and cheaper but are they more difficult to fold and ride?

I'm going to be using mine for commuting by train in Manchester so I'm thinking the 3 speed option will probably be enough.

Spend the money and get a Brompton. They are superior in every way. I found that everything else felt cheap in comparison.

There are folding bikes that are cheap and there are the expensive ones which include Bromptons.

For your safety and enjoyment get a Brompton. Cheap ones do not survive the speeds and potholes in Sheffield.

Gears- depends on your fitness and usage.

A three speed is fine in hilly Sheffield but it needs a better ratio to gain higher speeds on the flat.

You will need a bag to put it in to get on the bus and train and to reduce problems with some trams.

Some have found that spares for the as good and as expensive German and American bikes difficult to source.

Brompton or Dahon - or as an outsider, the higher end of Decathlon's range

For going on the train / commuting, avoid the cheapo's - many do not fold small enough to be carried as luggage, so you are faced with the same limitations as trying to get a standard bike on board.

As for 3-speeds, I ride a 3-speed (full size) around Sheffield but I modify my route to the way I go on the "normal" bikes - i.e. Hillsborough to Abbeydale I cycle down Penistone Road to West Bar, Flat street, Sidney Street, London Road. I can manage up St Philips Road to the Arts Tower but it's an unpleasant grind, and up Allen Street/Beert street route is a no-no unless I get off and push

I had a Dahon- it's 7 speed deraileurs handled most hills, certainly there were no 'no go' areas other than ridiculously steep hills like Blake st.

I totally dispute any that say it's got to be a Brompton- not only because of the extreme price tag, but also cos many experienced folder riders do not like 16" wheels and prefer the 20" size that many Dahons have.

Also, Bromptons use hub gears- a 3 speed is not good in sheffield (unless you're prepared to have 'no-go' routes) and, while they have the advantage of low maintenance, many riders prefer deraileurs because they can be self-maintained, and, repaired.

Bromptons can come with higher numbers of gears, but, the extra expense is considerable, and, you'll either end up with an internal hub with more than 3 gears (and consequent reliability issues), or, both hub gears and deraileurs, it which case a strong case can be made for just getting a bike with deraileurs in the first place.

I'm not disputing that the Brommies got the best and most compact fold- it has. Just pointing out that it's not the default go-to choice once other factors are taken into consideration.

And, that Dahons, though towards the budget end of things, are good bikes and well thought of by many users.

Does anyone know which of the bike shops could do a good tune up for us on our Brompton?

Edited by Dozer
Typos

Servicing:

Evans 164-170 Queens Road, Sheffield S2 4DH

OK but do not have all Brompton spares.

I thought I would bring this up to 2019 and wondered if Sheffield still have rides for Brompton users like myself.

I have read this thread with interest and I find the Brommie gets me up the hills fine though I do have to pace them slower