BT broadband problems Crookes?

Broadband is still at 0.3mbps - but I've just thought that maybe I should have switched off the router and restarted it.

Yes, restarting the router might help, just don't restart it repeatedly, or the equipment at the exchange end thinks there is a fault and slows the bitrate down.

It might be worth calling the broadband helpdesk now that the fault is (hopefully) cured. The equipment at the exchange line might have set itself to about 0.3mb/s in a futile effort to maintain stability, over what was, a faulty line.

The helpdesk may well be able to turn up the line speed for you.

Yes, restarting the router might help, just don't restart it repeatedly, or the equipment at the exchange end thinks there is a fault and slows the bitrate down.

It might be worth calling the broadband helpdesk now that the fault is (hopefully) cured. The equipment at the exchange line might have set itself to about 0.3mb/s in a futile effort to maintain stability, over what was, a faulty line.

The helpdesk may well be able to turn up the line speed for you.

Thanks. The 0.3mbps has been about the only thing that's been stable for the past week or so, so you may be right. I'll wait and make sure that the phone's still OK in the morning, then give the broadband people a call.

I kind of skipped through this thread so hope I haven't missed anything.

People contact me usually before they go down the BTOpenreach route, I can then tell the client weather the problem is theirs, the ISP's or BT's.

A router is always best left switched on.

Edited by walkertelecoms

How odd!:o

I understand openreach engineers are issued with beards to mask their identities on return visits?

I understand openreach engineers are issued with beards to mask their identities on return visits?

Sadly this is now the case:(

I changed my companys' phones & broadband (at Neepsend) over to BT in November and it's the worst thing I've done.At least twice a week my broadband goes down;an engineer comes out and after a couple of hours it's back on-until the next time.EVERY Saturday morning it goes off which is the day my part-time book-keeper comes in to do the books.I have said that if it happens again this week I am leaving BT.No one knows why it goes down but it very rarely happened before.

Well, the story continues...broadband is still at 0.3mbps, so I phoned BT again this evening. What a nightmare. I suspect that the person on the other end was a trainee - they were sticking grimly to the script and seemed unable to understand that the low speed probably relates to a fault on the phone line that has now been sorted. We had to go through all the tests that I've already run so often in the past few days - surprise, surprise, no change. THEN she started to tell me that she couldn't find a problem and I could use their chargeable service...that was when I said I wanted to speak to a manager in the UK tomorrow. At which point she suddenly discovered that there was a fault on the line that would be repaired within the next 24 hours. After over half an hour on the phone. Bizarre. Until now, the people I've spoken to have been excellent, but this was a textbook example of the downside of offshore call centres.