BT broadband problems Crookes?

Thanks - interesting to know this, especially re switching without penalty. I switched from Sky to BT about 6 months ago, and the BT broadband has been extremely disappointing, even before the problems of the past week - much slower and less reliable than Sky, and the call centre, as you say, difficult to deal with. I'm tied into the BT contract for another year, but will be looking for a way out if things don't improve.

Hi the noise on the line will definately slow down your broadband which will work to some extent down a single wire a telephone line will not hence intermittant fault, this sounds more likely to be caused by a high resistance disconnection possibly the wire from pole to house especially in these high winds/rain is your wire running through trees? If the fault is not rectified a change of service provider may not resolve the problem.

Hi the noise on the line will definately slow down your broadband which will work to some extent down a single wire a telephone line will not hence intermittant fault, this sounds more likely to be caused by a high resistance disconnection possibly the wire from pole to house especially in these high winds/rain is your wire running through trees? If the fault is not rectified a change of service provider may not resolve the problem.

Not a cable going off somewhere or a a wet joint thats finally given up the will to live after years of lack of investment in the copper access network that could and often do cause the problems the OP is / has experieced then ' medium fast ' ?

:) .

Not a cable going off somewhere or a a wet joint thats finally given up the will to live after years of lack of investment in the copper access network that could and often do cause the problems the OP is / has experieced then ' medium fast ' ?

:) .

Could be but until it goes out to an engineer who knows?

When you're up and running again try a BT speed test

What sort of Home Hub do you have, One of the old white Mk1a or b variety, or one of the later Black Mk2 ones. They also come as an "a" & "b" variety. The later curved Mk2 Black "b" ones seem to be the best, so I'd try and get one of those out of the visiting engineer if you can.

Even better are the latest smaller Mk3 black ones, as featured in the recent BT adverts, though these don't support Broadband Hub Phones if you have that facility at home. I do, so I'm still using the Mk2 (Curved) Black Home Hub.

Thanks for info. Just tried Speedtest. Download is 2710kbps. (Whatever that means). Current home hub is a Technicolor Gateway. Have a Mk2 curved one. Would that improve speed? Didn't seem to make any difference when I switched to that from old white one.

Thanks for info. Just tried Speedtest. Download is 2710kbps. (Whatever that means). Current home hub is a Technicolor Gateway. Have a Mk2 curved one. Would that improve speed? Didn't seem to make any difference when I switched to that from old white one.

It's worth a try, but don't expect immediate results. The line will try and reach maximum speed over 10 days or so. If you disconnect the hub or turn it off regularly, that will certainly slow the download speed.

2.7 might be the best your particular line can support, but you might improve things by making sure the hub is close to the master socket and away from any mains wiring, as far as practical anyway.

Also running your phone extensions on 2 wire system (Tags 2 & 5) without the bell wire (tag 3) might help a bit as well. If you have the later type master socket, fitting one of the filter plates behind it might speed things up a bit.

It's worth a try, but don't expect immediate results. The line will try and reach maximum speed over 10 days or so. If you disconnect the hub or turn it off regularly, that will certainly slow the download speed.

2.7 might be the best your particular line can support, but you might improve things by making sure the hub is close to the master socket and away from any mains wiring, as far as practical anyway.

Also running your phone extensions on 2 wire system (Tags 2 & 5) without the bell wire (tag 3) might help a bit as well. If you have the later type master socket, fitting one of the filter plates behind it might speed things up a bit.

Thanks Bill, BT told me not to keep hub perminantly on as that slowed it down! Will try leaving it on before switching hubs. Hub is close to master (only) socket and only have one cordless phone. Not near mains wiring is a bit difficult in a tiny 1 bed bungalow but will give that some thoughttoo.

Im had problems tilli said i would be ringing the regulator

Just catching up with the latest replies to my post - am very grateful for all the help. Being totally non-technical, I tend to get stressed by these things! Especially when I have to decide whether to risk a £130 call-out charge. Phone is still crackling, broadband unreliable - BUT having just plugged router into test socket, it hasn't gone down for the past half hour, which is a record compared to recent performance. Phone is no better though. However, I've just run a speed test (using an Ethernet cable), and it was a truly impressive 0.3mpbs, compared to the estimated 6.0.

Whether it's a problem in the house or outside, I think I'm at the limits of what I can do to solve it, so I guess I'm going to have to gamble the £130. Just a bit worried that the fact that the broadband is staying up when router is plugged into the test socket COULD indicate an internal problem - but there's not a lot I can do about it without help anyway! I think I've run all possible tests - changing filters, unplugging everything and trying a non-cordless phone in the test socket.

I did wonder about the weather affecting the wire into the house. Another odd thing is that there were no problems at all over the holiday weekend, Saturday-Monday - phone line clear, broadband working very fast - then on Tuesday morning it all started again.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Just catching up with the latest replies to my post - am very grateful for all the help. Being totally non-technical, I tend to get stressed by these things! Especially when I have to decide whether to risk a £130 call-out charge. Phone is still crackling, broadband unreliable - BUT having just plugged router into test socket, it hasn't gone down for the past half hour, which is a record compared to recent performance. Phone is no better though. However, I've just run a speed test (using an Ethernet cable), and it was a truly impressive 0.3mpbs, compared to the estimated 6.0.

Whether it's a problem in the house or outside, I think I'm at the limits of what I can do to solve it, so I guess I'm going to have to gamble the £130. Just a bit worried that the fact that the broadband is staying up when router is plugged into the test socket COULD indicate an internal problem - but there's not a lot I can do about it without help anyway! I think I've run all possible tests - changing filters, unplugging everything and trying a non-cordless phone in the test socket.

I did wonder about the weather affecting the wire into the house. Another odd thing is that there were no problems at all over the holiday weekend, Saturday-Monday - phone line clear, broadband working very fast - then on Tuesday morning it all started again.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Dont worry about the broadband report it as a noisy line which they can verify and when the noise fault has been rectified the broadband should get better.

My money is still on the dropwire though!

Big lead going off out of Beauchief, different exchange but many reports coming in all same symptoms ( batt & earth ) , different exchange I know but just goes to show it's not always what you CAL monkeys diagnose at first glance is it ;) .

Well, I've booked the engineer, with BT still insisting the line is OK, in spite of loud crackling when there's a dialling tone at all, and threatening a £130 call-out charge. I'm so stressed now that I feel like abandoning the land line all together!

Thanks for all the help and advice.