Abortion: The debate moves forward.

Your views on abortion  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on abortion

• I'm Pro Choice
    • I'm Pro Life
    • The subject is much more complicated than the above
    • I don't hold a view

I just think there should be some consideration for people who take all available precautions and for whom these fail.

Yes, anyone who has unprotected sex does need to face up to their actions. But there are hundreds of women every year who take all precautions they can and still fall pregnant. As I said earlier, the limit is too high and abortions should not be carried out beyond the first few months of pregnancy. Making abortion illegal will only lead to illegal abortions which in turn will result in women taking serious risks and possibly dying.

Saline abortions are irrelevant because they are no longer performed.

Originally posted by Twiglet

Yes, anyone who has unprotected sex does need to face up to their actions. But there are hundreds of women every year who take all precautions they can and still fall pregnant.

Well, not ALL the precautions! Self control is an option too.

I just think there should be some consideration for people who take all available precautions and for whom these fail..

What kind of consideration?

Okay, maybe you can be a bit sympathetic but are you suggesting that there should be a different law for these people?

Originally posted by Cyclone

A sperm potentially might develop into a living breathing human being, but it isn't, so we don't worry about them.

if a 'sperm' develops into a living breathing human being, then I would say it was misidentified as being a sperm :)

In general I'd simply say cut down the time period to a month, maybe its me but I just think its horrible to terminate 'a lump of cells' which have a human form, else we just end up in circles of whether 'its' conscous, or self sustaining, or has a heartbeat, or feels pain etc etc.

I guess we really wont get concensus on this topic as it is such an emotive topic.

It would be interesting to hear from women who have had an abortion and how they felt on the subject.

Maybe you already have done....

Maybe not everyone wants to shout it from the rooftops though!

True.

Originally posted by em3978

Maybe you already have done....

Maybe not everyone wants to shout it from the rooftops though!

Originally posted by wolfman

if a 'sperm' develops into a living breathing human being, then I would say it was misidentified as being a sperm :)

In general I'd simply say cut down the time period to a month, maybe its me but I just think its horrible to terminate 'a lump of cells' which have a human form, else we just end up in circles of whether 'its' conscous, or self sustaining, or has a heartbeat, or feels pain etc etc.

I guess we really wont get concensus on this topic as it is such an emotive topic.

Well you can tell you're a man.....

Women don't even know they're pregnant until it's been over a month.

I'm not saying there should be different laws for those whose contraception fails. But they should have options open to them, as they do now, and that is how it should stay.

As for self control you cannot seriously expect that everyone in the country who does not want to raise a child right now should not have sex.

As for self control you cannot seriously expect that everyone in the country who does not want to raise a child right now should not have sex.

think we've been down this line before. Its about actions and consequences. Some actions have unforeseen or unexpected consequences. You have to deal with them when they happen, you can't just say "its not fair".

I don't want to get hit by a car when I cross the road, but every time I do it it is a possibility. You should not have sex if you are not prepared to deal with the consequences.

I'm not saying this should mean we make abortion illegal, but there are limits on the occasions on which abortions are allowed.

Originally posted by Yodameister

think we've been down this line before. Its about actions and consequences. Some actions have unforeseen or unexpected consequences. You have to deal with them when they happen, you can't just say "its not fair".

I don't want to get hit by a car when I cross the road, but every time I do it it is a possibility. You should not have sex if you are not prepared to deal with the consequences.

I'm not saying this should mean we make abortion illegal, but there are limits on the occasions on which abortions are allowed.

one of the ways of dealing is an abortion.

i expect you'd be upset if you got hit by a car, but denied medical intervention because someone thought that you should deal with the consequences yourself?

i expect you'd be upset if you got hit by a car, but denied medical intervention because someone thought that you should deal with the consequences yourself?

Thanks Cyclone I was trying to think of how to put that and you got it exactly :thumbsup:

Cycolne, the comparison I was making was to illustrate actions and consequences.

The fact that I would be treated in the event of an accident (assuming I was not killed) I am taking as a given. Maybe if this wasn't a given I would be even more careful than I am now when I cross the road.

If the possibility of getting an abortion was much more remote (ie if the law as it stands in this country was actually enforced properly) then maybe people would be more careful in that regard too.

I was using an example to make a point. You just took my analogy further to illustrate your point. Thats fair enough, but I don't think you can present it as the logical result of my point.