Best people to approach for old carpet

have any of you tried asking the various carpet fitting places for old removed carpets? i need to make a better go of my plot this year and need to have a good crack at stopping weeds

van

Most carpet fitters leave the old carpet for the client to dispose of. You could try ringing a carpet fitter who may just know where there is an old wool carpet what is wanting taking away.

You could try Mintons carpets on Broadfield Road,they chuck loads of scraps away every day

number is 2501015

Edited by B.J.Mason
add phone number

have any of you tried asking the various carpet fitting places for old removed carpets? i need to make a better go of my plot this year and need to have a good crack at stopping weeds

van

I try to avoid carpet, it gets muddy, wet, heavy and doesn't break down and can leach bad stuff into the soil.

Instead I bought a garden shredder and use weed supressor(or cardboard or newspaper) with hedge clipping, tree choppings (owt that will fit through the shredder) on top.

I try to avoid carpet, it gets muddy, wet, heavy and doesn't break down and can leach bad stuff into the soil.

Instead I bought a garden shredder and use weed supressor(or cardboard or newspaper) with hedge clipping, tree choppings (owt that will fit through the shredder) on top.

I'd avoid carpet for those reasons, but one of the problems is the over time it does break down making it even harder to move/dig out.

I'd avoid carpet for those reasons, but one of the problems is the over time it does break down making it even harder to move/dig out.

I had a right time removing old carpet that had been 'grown' into the ground on my allotment when I took it on.

Wood chippings look very good, but there is a bigger upkeep (topping up etc) I find them very useful around my soft fruit bush's.

The main downside with chipping is when the decompose they leech nitrogen from the soil, a little liquid fertilizer returns this though.

Having spent hours removing old carpet from various allotments I would strongly advise against it. Far better to cover with weed surpressing fabric, weighed down by old bricks and wood chippings. Old carpet can also become very slippy to walk on when wet.

You can order a tonne of pebbles £40 and some proper fabric screw fix do one which cheap 1 tonnes of pebbles will probably cover 10m2 with a thin enough layer to wait it down. After a while the carpet will break down and a pain to remove also mud and silt appears from nowhere on top and the weeds just root in that eventually hope this helps

If you want anything, and I mean anything, for gardens/allotments you should try freecycle and freegle first. If you don't see what you're looking for on offer, you can post a wanted ad. Everything is free and posting is free, too, all you have to do is go and collect.