Don't let your dog approach on lead dogs!

Children should never, ever be allowed to approach a strange dog without asking.

Again i agree but it does happen.

Hypothetically, would you be happy if you thought there was a chance your dog would attack a child if it came close?

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 13:25 ----------

So if (for example) the dog is asleep and child pokes it in the eye or kicks it in the head or pulls on it's ear. You'd expect the dog to not react?

Id expect the dog to react of course but only to remove itself from the situation not to react aggressively.

Follow that to its somewhat extreme conclusion if a child poked your dog and the dog attacked and badly injured the child, would you feel responsible? i know i would.

Thanks for all the comments.

I did come onto here thinking there would be no mitigating measures for my dog to bite others or others to bite my dog but it seems, as so many people think differently, i could be wrong.

I still dont understand how someone can claim to have their dog under control if it bites another but i do accept that if my dog runs up to another dog 'under control' on a lead and is bitten i am also partially at fault.

I have a lot of kids in my family so if my dog was to bite or show aggression to a child for ANYTHING it would be gone i certainly wouldnt be blaming the child even if the dog was on a lead.

So if a child comes and kicks your dog its the dogs fault, if it turns round on the child and snaps at the child. And what do you mean GONE !! PTS ???

Edited by goldenbabe1966

So if a child comes and kicks your dog its the dogs fault, if it turns run on the child and snaps at the child. And what do you mean GONE !! PTS ???

Children are clumsy, maybe a child could accidentally step on the dog, yes its the dog fault if it snaps.

I mean i always want and need a dog i can trust with children, if i wasnt able to do that i would have to consider rehoming the dog.

Sorry what does PTS mean?

Children are clumsy, maybe a child could accidentally step on the dog, yes its the dog fault if it snaps.

I mean i always want and need a dog i can trust with children, if i wasnt able to do that i would have to consider rehoming the dog.

Sorry what does PTS mean?

PTS '' put to sleep '':(

Sorry to say but you cant trust any dog with a child .................... supervision at all times

:(

Edited by goldenbabe1966

Hypothetically, would you be happy if you thought there was a chance your dog would attack a child if it came close?

Hypothetically if I felt my dog would bite someone without provocation, then of course she would be muzzled, that's a given.

I don't believe she would ever bite (human or dog), as she's more the type to scream and run away.... however she's an animal and I'd never 100% rule out the possibility that, given enough provocation, she could bite.

BUT back on topic, the whole point of this thread is to try and educate people that allowing their dog to harass others (be they other dogs, walkers, joggers, cyclists, children etc) without permission is NOT acceptable.

Edited by vwkittie

The child analogy is a very good one and just to clarify im not saying i will let my dog or child run wild im just saying that no matter what precautions you take, if you take a dog or a child out of the house, you are responsible for its actions.

In the example of a child. If a child bites another child who is teasing it are you suggesting the parent should take no responsibility? If my dog bites another dog or another person i would feel responsible.

If my child was to chase another child despite me being told that it was not welcome and being asked to remove them and then the other child lashed out because of it I would hang my head in shame for not being a good parent and taking responsibility BEFORE the lashing out happened!

This is all about management of sentient beings. We cannot ever truly control every action because they have their own ideas, but we can reduce risks, remove known snags, educate and train- but there are still going to be issues and this is normal with creatures that have their own opinions. Ask every parent- the only way to truly keep them safe is to wrap them in cotton wool and never do anything from which they could travel at speed, cross roads, fall off anything, trap their hands in anything...

Put it this way, if I've talked to you and asked you politely to remove your dog from coming at mine, and then I've answered your response (which is very likely to be 'it's OK, she only wants to play!') with the information that it's not my dog that I'm concerned for, and I've got Molly on a lead and lying at my feet and I've got my hand under her collar and your dog is STILL closing in and is near enough for Molly to freak out and start acting as a scared dog, then it's not my dog management that has failed.

I know in some sort of Utopia all dogs will meet all other dogs happily, but it's just not going to happen in the real world, and if you're new to dog owning I hope that you learn this in a way that doesn't entail your dog getting harmed either physically or emotionally. I live in the real world where abused dogs that don't want to mix with other dogs get walked in a place where they are unlikely to meet other dogs, but if they do encounter one we have to manage the situation.

Oh- and if you want a dog that is guaranteed not to snap if hurt by a child, get a stuffed one, because the natural response from all animals on being put in pain is to make it stop however they can.