Phrases & expressions you only ever hear in Sheffield

Growing up, if someone was ‘gowl’ or ‘a gowler’, they were horrible/ugly.

Also if you heard something bad had happened to someone, you would respond, ‘aimer!’

in our house, Gowl was the gritty stuff you got in your eyes overnight (Also known as "Sleep", as in "You've got some sleep in your eye" )

Wednesday / Blades for the cup!

Chabby! Several non-Sheffield friends haven't heard of it before

I'm reviving this old post of mine because I forgot to include "clarty" [./B]- How I could forget this one I don't know, because my mum and dad use it all the time when they're describing the kind of food that is difficult to swallow because it goes all sticky and claggy in your mouth. Peanut butter, for example, is "clarty"....Mars Bars are "clarty". I've never heard this particular word used outside of my own family, let alone outside of Sheffield. Is anyone else out there familiar with it?

I'm reviving this old post of mine because I forgot to include "clarty" [./B]- How I could forget this one I don't know, because my mum and dad use it all the time when they're describing the kind of food that is difficult to swallow because it goes all sticky and claggy in your mouth. Peanut butter, for example, is "clarty"....Mars Bars are "clarty". I've never heard this particular word used outside of my own family, let alone outside of Sheffield. Is anyone else out there familiar with it?

Yes, I often came home from school with my shoes "clarted-up" with sludge!

What about "slakey"? When you don't wipe the window cleaning stuff off properly, and you leave streaks and smears, (or if you smear the mud when mopping it up off the floor when you've come in with it clarted all over your shoes) that's "Slakey",

Actually I used the word clarty at work recently and of course they all looked at me as if I had two heads as they had never heard it before and I had to explain what I meant. It can be difficult at times living darn South when you're a Yorkshire lass through and through :-)

My mother also uses the word clarty; the last time I heard her use it was in reference to a scone she was eating :). I think it's a word that's more commonly used in Scotland though.

May I also add 'slart' ie to slart (throw or spray) water all over something and 'weth' ie, useless/not worth anything. Not sure if these are Sheffield words though or just general Yorkshire.

What about nah then seri, beighton i believe.

Whooooah, I thought it was just my dad that said seri (I always imagined it like "surrey"). He is from Lancashire - don't know where he picked it up from.

Iv never even heard of it! :hihi:

Edited: Sorry, that wasnt very helpful.

in sheffield i would say they spell it as they pronouce it kalied mening very drunk

back wack(s) / wax

EXAMPLE

"neaw pal dont go darn thee er, its snided, you'll get stuck in traffic, cut darn back wacks and you'll get thee er sooner

is "sooner" one too?

Sooner - to mean quicker or I also say it in place of rather

EXAMPLE

"I'd sooner go" etc , "I'd sooner go darn town than meadowhell"

who knows, maybe I just talk in riddles

Edited by RYANBLADE84
I cant spell

I'd just like to say, as an outsider who has lived here for some years, that I really like the local dialect.