Phrases & expressions you only ever hear in Sheffield

I'm sure that there must be plenty of phrases and expressions that are never used outside of Sheffield, but the one that I'm particularly thinking of here is the use of the word "kale-eyed" to describe the state of being blind drunk. I'm not even sure if "kale-eyed" is the correct way to spell it. I've raised this important subject with several Sheff born-and-bred friends and family members and although most of them have often used this word, the spelling variations include "kalide", "caylide" and even (God forbid) "Kaleighed". Does anyone know what the correct spelling is - or indeed, where such a word originated from in the first place? And while we are on this subject, can anyone think of any more words/expressions/phrases that are seldom, if ever, heard outside of Sheffield?

I'm sure that there must be plenty of phrases and expressions that are never used outside of Sheffield, but the one that I'm particularly thinking of here is the use of the word "kale-eyed" to describe the state of being blind drunk. I'm not even sure if "kale-eyed" is the correct way to spell it. I've raised this important subject with several Sheff born-and-bred friends and family members and although most of them have often used this word, the spelling variations include "kalide", "caylide" and even (God forbid) "Kaleighed". Does anyone know what the correct spelling is - or indeed, where such a word originated from in the first place? And while we are on this subject, can anyone think of any more words/expressions/phrases that are seldom, if ever, heard outside of Sheffield?

Iv never even heard of it! :hihi:

Edited: Sorry, that wasnt very helpful.

can't remember where i read it, i think it was on here; "a tuppenney pie costs fourpence when thar't courtin"

A Sheffield word that possibly not all Sheffielders know is 'Shuntly' as in sparkly..

It could be a sequined dress or Lurex- it's something that 'Shuntles' :hihi:

Mardy bum is another saying that's probably not used outside of Sheffield too

Biggsy :)

EDIT- I think it's KayOleyed rther than Kale eyed

The number of people from other cities I've confused by speaking of breadcakes, mardy bums and fishcakes is quite astounding. Oh, and buns :hihi:

"Rampant is a git".

Doubt you'll hear that outside Sheffield. :hihi:

"Rampant is a git".

Doubt you'll hear that outside Sheffield. :hihi:

I like Rampent :hihi:

I like Rampent :hihi:

Oh, so do i, we are to be married you know, as soon as i've had the surgery. :hihi:

During my first week in Sheffield, after I bought a paper in a newsagents, the bloke behind the counter said "Cheers love". A bloke calling me love, that threw me a bit.

During my first week in Sheffield, after I bought a paper in a newsagents, the bloke behind the counter said "Cheers love". A bloke calling me love, that threw me a bit.

Flippin'eck!!- I call everybody love!!

I suppose o'm lucky it hasn't earnt me a slap in the gob!!! :o

Biggsy :)