What's the best thing to come out of Sheffield?

Back to the thread question - and I would say that the best thing to come out of Sheffield was not stainless steel in general, but specifically the crucible method of producing steel which was founded by Benjamin Huntsman.

It was this revolutionary discovery by Huntsman which transformed the development of steel and really put Sheffield steel on the world map.

It is interesting to learn that when Huntsman first started producing steel by this method it was not popular amongst cutlery makers in Sheffield. They rejected it because they said the steel was too hard to work with. So he exported most of it and it was a roaring success - so much so that it was being imported back into this country and affect the sales of locally produced steel. So eventually, the local cutlers had to accept that this new method of producing steel was superior and began using it themselves.

If this hadn't have happened then Sheffield steel would not be world famous as it is today.

You see, even back then, Sheffielders rejected anything new or better than what had gone before. They didn't like change - and didn't want it. Until it was forced upon them and then they realised it made good sense.

Sound familiar?

Being in manchester last night, its definitely not the nightlife lol........

Short answer - no. Henderson's Relish isn't the same as WorcesterSHIRE (Not Worcester) Sauce - although I suspect it is meant to be very similar. The famous brand of Worcestershire sauce is Lea & Perrins and that was being produced many years before Henderson's relish got started.

Whether Henderson's copied the idea from Lea & Perrins is not known but the two recipes do vary.

To my taste buds, Lea & Perrin's is far superior in quality and taste to Henderson's Relish. It has a deeper, richer flavour and more of a spicy kick to it.

I appreciate it is sacrilege to say this in Sheffield btw - but it's my honest opinion.

Totally agree, I think Hendersons is nothing more than average, if it had been made in Leeds then people in Sheffield would have seen the truth a long time ago.

My Lathe was made by Hendersons of Sheffield..

It's the very same Hendersons, they made small high quality hobby lathes before they made Relish :thumbsup:

Cheers, Biggsy:)

My Lathe was made by Hendersons of Sheffield..

It's the very same Hendersons, they made small high quality hobby lathes before they made Relish :thumbsup:

Cheers, Biggsy:)

Is it a faircut, it must be old :hihi:

Is it a faircut, it must be old :hihi:

Yep- Spot on!!

It's even got flat belting and cone pulleys :hihi:

John :D

Yep- Spot on!!

It's even got flat belting and cone pulleys :hihi:

John :D

Excellent stuff :thumbsup:

Arctic Monkeys

The best...

Stainless steel (the process of), Def leppard, Made in Sheffield Cuttlery (Not like Viners cuttlery which is made in Sheffield Taiwan and shipped across), Sheffield Steelers ice hockey

and the worst...

2 very embarrassing so called football teams, one or both of which may actually make it up to the next division next season... wow

5th largest city with two rubbish football teams enough said

Sean Bean

Hendersons is suitable for veggies ... which means I dont want to think about how they make Worcester sauce... which is enought to make it superior