Tripod advice needed please?

:help:

I'm looking for a decent but within budget tripod for my OH, someone recommended a Gorillapod but not being very technical (OH is the one into photography not me) and not knowing enough about such things, I'm getting confused, Gorillapods don't appear sturdy enough and whilst looking I've seen things like 'quick release plates'?

It's for a present or I'd ask him which sort he'd prefer or which would be best. It wouldn't be used for things like weddings etc, just general mooching about but it is something he's mentioned he's looking for, hence this post!

Any advice is more than welcome! :D :D

Try and work out what sort of use the 'pod will get. If he's talking about driving to sites etc then weight isn't really in issue, but if he's walking out into the hills for landscapes he will want something lighter.

Some collapse smaller than others.

Does he do low level shots? eg macro, where being able to splay out the tripod to get closer to the ground is incredibly useful.

I've not used the Gorillapod either, but I can't imagine it supporting an SLR reliably.

The quick release plate you mention is a small lump that attaches to the camera and allows the camera to be quickly fixed and removed from the 'pod without messing about with mounting it. Very useful.

As with so many hobbies equipment can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. You could get a £20-30 tripod from a camera shop but it wouldn't be as sturdy as pricier models nor would it offer the same flexiblity.

If you buy more expensive tripods then there is a good chance you would have to price up both the tripod legs and a 'head' separately. The head is the part between the legs and the camera and is what the quick release plate would be fastened to.

It would be useful if you could give us an idea on budget/anticipated usage to help us make recommendations.

The Gorrillapod is good as for fastening your slr to railings, branches, etc but not so good as a tripod and in all cases you will need a remote shutter release, the slightest pressure on the camera will move it

I looked at some of the cheap £30 to £40 ones but they seemed very shaky when the camera was on them, in the end I went for a more expensive Manfrotto one and it is very sturdy and much more versatile.

I looked at some of the cheap £30 to £40 ones but they seemed very shaky when the camera was on them, in the end I went for a more expensive Manfrotto one and it is very sturdy and much more versatile.

I went for the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and 804RC2 Head lovely bit of kit,

I went for the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod and 804RC2 Head lovely bit of kit,

This is what I use, heavy but very solid and good for low level stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-Ultra-REXi-Tripod-legs/dp/B003N3VLU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325331954&sr=8-1

Anyone got experience with one of these tripods?. I was considering one for myself.

It looks the business because it folds up to be very small and light. If I bought a heavier model, I can imagine it never getting used as I'd just leave it in the house, due the weight and inconvenience.

This is what I use, heavy but very solid and good for low level stuff

I agree with you it's very solid and stable I don't think the lighter ones would be in windy conditions, it's expensive but in my opinion it's worth it and at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

I found this recently and it is a very good sturdy tripod a little on the heavy side but I think it does everything you need and at a very good price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Professional-Aluminium-Camera-Tripod/dp/B000M342TK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325340637&sr=1-4

looks very similar to my Giotto, which I use with a Jessops BH-40 head, can get into so many different angles/ positions with the combination of the 2.

harrisons often have good second hand ones - that's where I got one of mine from