Former Salvation Army citadel now being squatted by Occupy Sheffield

Occupy Sheffield squat  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Occupy Sheffield squat

• Go
    • Stay

If they are using LPG gas in the kitchen area may I recommend they don't block any holes in the floor.

What with the dodgy electrics as well, this could be an accident waiting to happen.

I called in there earlier this week. Toilet worked fine. Functioning kitchen as well.

The hazard tape, Rupert, isn't a repair, it's a means of fencing off a hazardous area until it can be repaired :)

Considering the works been done by volunteers, it's impressive progress for 3 weeks, given the state of the building when they arrived.

What's the point when they are moving out in about 3 weeks from now now anyway or am I missing the point somewhere ;) ?

And rightly so. They've taken a unused shell with long term substantial water leaks, and fixed it up- with all workers giving their time and skills for free.

A fine example of what can be done without money, if the will is there.

Its not 'fixed up' at all is it so please stop being so silly :o I do hope they have all the relevant paperwork for the electrical work that has been done, you know for health and safety etc;)

I think we probably need to apply two different standards. In terms of stopping a major water leak and cleaning out bird mess, the squatters have done well - they certainly have saved the building from further damage.

Good will and good intentions will only get you so far. When it comes to taking on responsibility by opening up premises to visitors, there are objective standards that must be met.

I think we probably need to apply two different standards. In terms of stopping a major water leak and cleaning out bird mess, the squatters have done well - they certainly have saved the building from further damage.

Good will and good intentions will only get you so far. When it comes to taking on responsibility by opening up premises to visitors, there are objective standards that must be met.

It's opened up to visitors. Yesterday on their facebook page they were encouraged people to bring their children there and described the events at the citadel as being extremely child friendly.

Given the amount of kids hurt in accidents breaking into building sites and derelict buildings and the amount of time and effort the building industry has put into preventing and discouraging this, it's an appalling example. Children shouldn't be anywhere near that building, it's a death trap.

...In terms of stopping a major water leak and cleaning out bird mess, the squatters have done well - they certainly have saved the building from further damage.

This is true.

Edited by onewheeldave

It's opened up to visitors. Yesterday on their facebook page they were encouraged people to bring their children there and described the events at the citadel as being extremely child friendly.

Given the amount of kids hurt in accidents breaking into building sites and derelict buildings and the amount of time and effort the building industry has put into preventing and discouraging this, it's an appalling example. Children shouldn't be anywhere near that building, it's a death trap.

I watched it and thought this must be the "before" bit of a before or after. But no it isn't. It's the feel-free-to-bring-your-children-into-this-deathtrap bit.

Words fail me.

I'm sure any parents bringing their children into this building as part of the Occupy squat activities would supervise them closely. I'm more concerned about the suitability for "Community Grops" or "workshops", where the issue of responsibiliy for supervision is quite different, and where Occupy would be acting as the Landlord, with all the attendant legal responsibilities for the safety of all visitors to the premises.

https://www.facebook.com/occupysheffield

It seems OS have a knack for upsetting their neighbours. Quite revealing nasty comments about Toby Foster, too.

The more I learn, the less I like OS.

Edited by Womerry2

So some poor sod has got what is basically being operated on some days as an unlicensed, unregulated night club next door to them.

What is wrong with these people? They didn't even have the courtesy to tell them they were having an event and when people complained they say they should be grateful for it finishing at 10.30pm. On a Sunday. Really great if they have kids at school. Oh and they stuck a bit of carpet on the wall and apparently it's the complainers fault because they should have attended instead of expecting peace and quiet in their own home.

Honestly, the arrogance of these people is stunning.

Can't see any comments about Toby Foster, what does that refer to?

Can't see any comments about Toby Foster, what does that refer to?

I came across some pretty snide "adolf" type "puns" on TF's name the day before yesterday - it seems the site has been cleaned up since then. The referred to the FACT that Toby Foster is a right wing, Sun-inspired hate monger. And if you disagree with that, you're just a blind fool. Luckily, M Levison from Occcupy is dedicated to bringing the truth to you.

https://www.facebook.com/occupysheffield

It seems OS have a knack for upsetting their neighbours. Quite revealing nasty comments about Toby Foster, too.

The more I learn, the less I like OS.

Standard procedure from OS im afraid. They attack anyone who disagrees with them , IE ,their continued assualt on the cathedral and the Dean.