Parking ticket at childrens hospital

Typical blue badge holder, think they can park where they want without checking for restrictions and sod the consequences. Then when they get caught out ,or ticketed, they scream the place down and moan and groan. Common sense dictates that those spaces are for when only one person who can drive is in the car with the ill child so they can park right outside. If you have more than 1 driver with you park elsewhere nearby, and before you all start whinging about lack of parking around the hospitals do as another poster suggested USE YOUR LEGS AND WALK. I work around that area and there is plenty of available parking within 5-10 mins walk if you are prepared to look for it. Yes in this case they were attending A&E but assume if it was life threatening an ambulance would have been called, so why the desperate need to park right outside when it would seem the parent and child were deposited at A&E and the driver then drove down the main road and back up again without trying any of the surrounding streets. I for one hope they don`t win their appeal as it may make the driver pay attention in future

and prevent their indiscriminate use of the blue badge.

I am so glad you know what the future holds for you health wise and am so glad to hear that you will always be able to walk however far you want for the rest of your life unaided.

I feel so sorry for people who find themselves having to take a sick child into hospital, it must be so traumatic that the last thing you should need to worry about is parking.

I have every sympathy reading signs and working out the do's and dont's when you have time and are relaxed can catch you out. Must be hell if you have a sick child with you.

Hope it works out for you

you get my sympathy! last thing on your mind is petty parking rules when your in that situation

The "petty parking rules" are there so that people who need to get their children into A&E in a hurry stand a chance of finding a space. There are notices all along the wall where the parking spaces are and also in reception, telling people they need to get a ticket from reception. Presumably they had plenty of time to read these notices - a baby being sick and a child with someting in their eye is not life threatening & I doubt they would have been whisked off to see a doctor immediately.

I think the new rule sucks.

The children's is based in worst place possible.

The staff are great but a better ammount of parking or even a new location would be a better answer.

So, why does it "suck"?

It's an improvement on what was there before, ie no parking specifically for A&E.

The hospital isn't going to move, the cost would be enormous, they are in fact extending. The current location is very accessible by public transport (remember, a good proportion of the population still do not have access to a car) and is a convenient walk for a sizeable chunk of the population. You are not likely to get anywhere better than that.

When posters refer to parking outside A&E are they referring to the parking bays onthe road or actually in the layby directly outside the A&E doors?

If its on the road then its nothing to do with the hospital, its public highway so under the control of the Local Authority. If its the layby then I have no sympathy even to the poster who had relatives visiting at 3am. That is for Ambulances only. There will be emergancies even at 3am, I know this out of experience.

I thought permits could be obtained to park near to the Main Hospital Entrance around the back but thats not the main A&E entrance.

When my youngest was in hospital for 4 weeks, 1 week in high dependancy unit, we always found a spot and paid where necessary.

When posters refer to parking outside A&E are they referring to the parking bays onthe road or actually in the layby directly outside the A&E doors?

If its on the road then its nothing to do with the hospital, its public highway so under the control of the Local Authority. If its the layby then I have no sympathy even to the poster who had relatives visiting at 3am. That is for Ambulances only. There will be emergancies even at 3am, I know this out of experience.

I thought permits could be obtained to park near to the Main Hospital Entrance around the back but thats not the main A&E entrance.

When my youngest was in hospital for 4 weeks, 1 week in high dependancy unit, we always found a spot and paid where necessary.

The bays that are being discussed are the on-street ones which are immediately outside the Hospital on Western Bank.

There are several large yellow signs on the wall which advise that they are specifically for A&E.

And how long we was there but I think the new rule sucks.

The children's is based in worst place possible.

The staff are great but a better ammount of parking or even a new location would be a better answer.

In what way can it "suck" when it frees up space for people bringing their children to A&E? That parking area used to be for anyone to use, now it's only for people using the hospital. It's well signposted and all the hospital asks in return is that you get a ticket when you're at reception. The hospital itself is in a perfect place - not in the town centre, not out in the sticks. It's served extremely well by public transport. Could you imagine the cost of moving the whole thing? Doesn't bear thinking about.

Yes, parking is a massive problem and very frustrating, I have had experience of that. A multistorey would be great - and not just for the Children's - I feel for all the poor souls queueing to get into Weston Park's tiny car park too.

Any detailed planning application would include a traffic impact assessment which would address any such issues.

My feeling is that the roads probably would cope. There are often vehicles waiting to park queuing back onto Whitham Road, the incidence of which would probably be reduced by a larger car park, so that would help traffic flows. Also there would probably be less people circulating in the area looking for on-street parking.

Sorry for not making myself clearer, do think that they'd cope around rush hour?

Currently it's a nightmare and if extra parking facilities were made available it'll only get worse. I work at one of the hospitals in the area, a lot of my colleagues have given up driving to work because of the difficulty of parking and the cost of parking when they do get a space. If more were made available they'd return to their cars.

The bays that are being discussed are the on-street ones which are immediately outside the Hospital on Western Bank.

There are several large yellow signs on the wall which advise that they are specifically for A&E.

Sorry I wasn't aware that these were specifically for A&E, it has been a few months since I was there. We always park up near to the Nottinghamshire Pub or down past Goodwin Sports Ground.

my daughter in law got a ticket today in the same A&E bays after she had been parked there fo 36 minutes it says on the ticket she arrived rushing her 4 month old daughter into A&E on her own as her daughter was struggling for breath and was very wheasy now she arrived at A&E around 6.45 am and as many other in a state of panic didnt stop to read all the signs and said she never saw a sign saying she needed a permit from the A&E department when her daughter had been seen after diagnoised with bronchillitise and been informed that she needs to monitor her breathing and to take ger straight back if she worsens now my daughter in law left the hospital just before 10 am to find a ticket on her window and a £50 fine to boot now heres my beef what should she have done gone into A£E on her own with her daughter struggling for breath and said oh hold on a minute i must remember i need a ticket and ask the person on the desk for a ticket then run back down the street with baby in arms struggling for her breath put the ticket in the window run back up to A&E and say its ok now can we be seen ridiculous i say they should if they feel like this issue a ticket and use the A&E security system to confirm that the patients are seen in A&E rather than using tickets causing more distress then needs be i think its totaly disgusting i just dont understand what they would want any person to do as doesnt the word A&E mean anything like EMERGENCY i am fuming any advise anyone

my daughter in law got a ticket today in the same A&E bays after she had been parked there fo 36 minutes it says on the ticket she arrived rushing her 4 month old daughter into A&E on her own as her daughter was struggling for breath and was very wheasy now she arrived at A&E around 6.45 am and as many other in a state of panic didnt stop to read all the signs and said she never saw a sign saying she needed a permit from the A&E department when her daughter had been seen after diagnoised with bronchillitise and been informed that she needs to monitor her breathing and to take ger straight back if she worsens now my daughter in law left the hospital just before 10 am to find a ticket on her window and a £50 fine to boot now heres my beef what should she have done gone into A£E on her own with her daughter struggling for breath and said oh hold on a minute i must remember i need a ticket and ask the person on the desk for a ticket then run back down the street with baby in arms struggling for her breath put the ticket in the window run back up to A&E and say its ok now can we be seen ridiculous i say they should if they feel like this issue a ticket and use the A&E security system to confirm that the patients are seen in A&E rather than using tickets causing more distress then needs be i think its totaly disgusting i just dont understand what they would want any person to do as doesnt the word A&E mean anything like EMERGENCY i am fuming any advise anyone

Maybe the issue may be that without the ticket system your daughter in law may not have been able to park this close to the A&E.

maybe they need to think of a realistic way to issure the tickets they surly can not expect a mother with a very poorly chilid to run into A&E then back out then back in again absolutely ridiculous what would any saine person expect her to do with her baby in this circumsatnce totaly nuts as i say they should be able to put the security system to use in the A&E to confirm that she attended and was alone when doing so not enabling her to run in and out to the car let alone charging her £50 for the stress of having to rush her baby to hospital totaly WRONG :rant: