Parking ticket at childrens hospital

attending A&E with children are worrying times, trust me I have had my fair share of visits there. However there are signs all over A&E stating if you are parked outside, please get a ticket from reception, there are also clear signs outside the building. If the child has an adult with them, it takes 2 mins to get a ticket and put it on your windscreen. (The changes of that child been called in between you putting a ticket on your car and returning are VERY SLIM) inless life threatening.

People need to calm down a little and start putting brain into gear.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

my husband ended up rushing our son there on christmas eve, it happened so quickly that he didnt put his wheelchair in the car (from past experience they dont like having it on the wards as it takes up so much room). of course it meant when he got there he had to collect the ticket and return to the car carrying a poorly 7 year old. whilst i get what they are trying to do, i do think they need to think about the access issues - if 2 adults are present its easy but not so much on your own!

For clarification - every driver should check the signs and lines which inform motorists of the restrictions. They should do this every time they park. It takes at most 5 seconds to look at the signs, so however much of a rush people are in, they still have time to do this. In most circumstances a parking ticket is avoidable if a little care is taken.

I would also agree with some of the previous posts on this thread - too many people these days are unwilling to walk a couple of hundred yards and want to park 5 yards from their destination. For those who are genuinely attending A&E with their child that's fair enough - and that is what the bays outside the Children's Hospital are for.

To all drivers I would say - take a few seconds to check the signs and you will avoid a parking ticket. Ignore the signs and sooner or later you will be issued with one. Personally I'd rather keep the money in my bank account, rather than the Council's.

What is it with all this "theres no parking spaces at the hospitals" lark?

"We couldn't find a space so we had to park in the disabled bay"

"I had to park on a permit only road 'cos there was no spaces" :( :(

"Oh dear I got a ticket, just because I parked illegally, I'm not paying it"

You mean there were no FREE spaces?

If you were struggling that much, you could drop the child and its mother off at the childrens, then go to the multi storey car park at the Hallamshire. Walk round, 5 minutes.

When ready to leave the childrens, go and fetch your car and drive back round and pick them up.

Next I'll get the

"Have you seen the price of parking in the Hallamshire car park????"

Yes, its about £2 per 2 hours, and a maximum of £8 or so.

Its cheaper than a parking ticket.

Edited by Leah-Lacie

What is it with all this "theres no parking spaces at the hospitals" lark?

"We couldn't find a space so we had to park in the disabled bay"

"I had to park on a permit only road 'cos there was no spaces" :( :(

"Oh dear I got a ticket, just because I parked illegally, I'm not paying it"

You mean there were no FREE spaces?

If you were struggling that much, you could drop the child and its mother off at the childrens, then go to the multi storey car park at the Hallamshire. Walk round, 5 minutes.

When ready to leave the childrens, go and fetch your car and drive back round and pick them up.

The op has already said the mother couldn't carry the child because of a medical condition. I agree people should be willing to park a little further away but on the occassions I have had to go to the children's I have struggled to find a parking space, paid or otherwise. Luckily one of my parents had taken me and I am healthy so could carry my child is necessary and have been dropped off then they have driven round looking for a space again on one occassion my mum ended up going to a friends at fulwood as she still couldn't find a space.

next time, call an ambulance for the kids and book a taxi for anyone not accompanying them in the ambulance. much cheaper.

when will hospitals realise that they are a business and most businesses need to have somewhere for their workers and customers to park in order to use their services.

if the NHS is allowed to do private ops you can be pretty sure they will sort out free parking for their private patients.

If patients pay for treatment within an NHS hospital they have to pay to park like everyone else - and quite right too.

Goes back to my post earlier about people losing the ability to use their legs.

Hi, my little boy was admittedrens hospital for a few days earlier this year.

I know you need to get a permit thing from the A&E reception - I know there is a sign stating that a permit is required to park in the bays...

Anyway, while my boy was in hospital, his ward over looked the parking bays on the front of the hospital.... I am not sure who keeps the money from the parking tickets, but there are a lot of tickets issued.

I think there are only about 10 parking bays - and on one day I think 6 had "yellow badges" stuck to them.

I think the area is so congested, it has its own warden - good or bad, I think given the traffic has to be kept moving... Ideally, there would simply be more parking available, better public transport links - but dont think there is simply any space available.

I think given the traffic has to be kept moving... Ideally, there would simply be more parking available, better public transport links - but dont think there is simply any space available.

How are you going to get better public transport links? Some of the most frequent bus services in the city pass there and it's an easy walk from the tram.

Sorry to hear of your parking dilemma when it is the last thing you need to be thinking about. I would welcome a move of the hospital to a location that is far more accessible for everyone. Trams and buses are ok if you are independant but most people put into this situation are not.

How are you going to get better public transport links? Some of the most frequent bus services in the city pass there and it's an easy walk from the tram.

There are good public transport links which are great if you have a planned appointment but if you're child needs to go to a&e you need to get there quickly and don't always need an ambulance. However, there really is no where else to put a car park in the surrounding area. People just need to be more considerate when parking around the hospital, if you are going for a trip to weston park museum then park a bit further away leaving the space for people who need it when rushing their child to hospital.

In the 1950's I fell of my pushbike and had an injury to the head that needed hospital treatment. We didn't have a car and I remember my dad having to take me on a bus from Parson Cross to the A&E - not sure if it was Northern General or the Children's to be honest although think it might have been NGH with that being the nearest to us.

I cannot imagine people these days travelling by bus with an injury to the hospital but in those days there really wasn't any other option and the bus it had to be!