A grave in the General Cemetery

Whilst walking through the General Cemetery I came upon a grave of a Louis Hiller who came from Kunselsau Wurttemburg Germany.This has intrigued me as I visit this town every year,the Landsrat(President) is a friend of mine and is a avid Sheffield Wednesday fan,I know I know,I have taken some photos of the grave stone and he is going to investigate why mr Hiller decided to stay and die in Sheffield and where he lived in Kunselsau and if his ancestors are still living in the area.Mr Hiller was born in September29 1811 and died in Nether Edge on October 10 1870,he must have been very wealthy to live at Nether Edge and raise a family.Could anyone help me with info on his address and what he did to acquire this wealth and where his business was located so I can pass this info on to his descendants.His wife was Francis Hiller who died in Douglas Isle of Man on February 10 1891 aged 79.It would be an accomplishment to solve this mystery through the Sheffield Forum.Wurth industries was founded in this town and is the major employer and also has its HQ there.Rheinhold Wurth is very philanthropic and gives a fortune to disabled causes,the town is also where Mustang Jeans were founded.Any info will be passed on to his living relatives.Thank you.

Louis arrived in the UK in 1840, he was a pork butcher and had premises at Netheredge and in South St Sheffield. Fanny was a Wisewood lass and they had a son John.

Louis in 1851 census

Louis Hiller

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1812

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Fanny Hiller

Where born: B S, Germany

Civil parish: Ecclesall Bierlow

Ecclesiastical parish: Carver Street

Town: Sheffield

County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow

Sub-registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow

ED, institution, or vessel: 1v

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 11

Piece: 2337

Folio: 268

Page Number: 4

Household Members:

Name Age

Louis Hiller 39

Fanny Hiller 39

John Hiller 8

Mary Armitage 30

Louis Kramer 21

James Bridlington 19

Emma Belek

This is a snapshot of the 1861 census which shows where Louis was living and with whom.

Person: HILLER, Louis

Address: 36, South Street, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield

HILLER, Louis Head Married M 49 1812 Pork Butcher

Germany

HILLER, Fanny Wife Married F 44 1817

Ecclesfield

Yorkshire

HILLER, John Son Unmarried M 18 1843

Sheffield

Yorkshire

ARMATAGE, Fanny Niece Unmarried F 20 1841

Sheffield

Yorkshire

BRAMMER, Eliza Servant Unmarried F 15 1846 House Servant

Sheffield

Yorkshire

METYGER, August Unmarried M 19 1842 Journeyman

Germany

WALKER, George Unmarried M 16 1845 Apprentice

Sheffield

Yorkshire

ARMITAGE, Joseph Nephew Unmarried M 16 1845

Sheffield

Yorkshire

Piece:

3473 Folio:

7 Page:

8 Registration District:

Ecclesall Bierlow

Civil Parish:

Ecclesall Bierlow Municipal Borough:

Sheffield Address:

36, South Street, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield County:

Yorkshire (West riding)

Thanks for this info,did louis live at south st and where exactly was it and where did Fanny live.This is going to be very interesting for my German friends many who have visited Sheffield and Rotherham in the last 15yrs.I used to take them to the Sheffield shop on Ecclesall rd and on Rosedale rd lived a German friend and as I was telling them about her she walked round the corner well everyone had a big surprise there was more chatter than a budgies cage.Alas now my friend is gone she and her husband ted owned Hengers hairdressers on West St.

Louis arrived in the UK in 1840, he was a pork butcher and had premises at Netheredge and in South St Sheffield. Fanny was a Wisewood lass and they had a son John.
Do you know where abouts on Wisewood Fanny came from and where at Nether Edge did he live? Thanks.:)

Not been able to find his marriage but this looks like him arriving in England. The entry in the book on Ancestry is very faint but will send it on if you PM me your email address

Name: Louis Hiller

Port of Arrival: London, England

Arrival Date: 24 Jun 1840

Country of Origin/Native of: Germany

"South Street, Ecclesall", also known as "South Street, Moor", is now simply "The Moor". (not to be confused with South Street, Park)

1840 can't have been his first arrival...

Sheffield Independent

Saturday 3 Oct 1835

MARRIAGES

On Sunday...

Same day, Mr. Louis Hiller, pork butcher, to Miss F. Armitage

--

On 28th Sep 1850 he is listed as "treasurer" in a notice advertising the opening next day of school rooms at Eyre Street Chapel. His address is listed as "South street, Sheffield moor".

--

on 1 Sep 1855 the Independent lists him as giving 10s towards a testimonial to John Arthur Roebuck MP.

--

Independent, Thurday 30 Jul 1864

MARRIAGES

HILLER-SPEIGHT - July 27th, at Ecclesall Church, by the Rev E. Newman, M.A., Incumbent, John Frederick, only son of Mr. Louis Hiller, to Annie. youngest daughter of Mr. Charles Speight, Mill House, Abbeydale.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I have copied off the newspaper reports on Louis for bullerboY and hope to see him in the New Year to pass them on. Yes the arrival could have been after a visit to Germany but looks like the same man as says pork butcher. Saying that did you see the Masborough bacon robbery reports that turned out to supposedly be another Louis Hiller living in the same area at the time so who knows! I noticed too from the Directories that there seemed to be a family of Hillers living around Sheffield some also in the Pork Butcher industry.

Edited by Rivelin6

Louis Hiller was born Johann Ludwig Hiller in Kunzelsau, Wurttemberg, Germany on September 25th 1811.  He was one of two brothers, other one George (Georg Friedrich), who came over to Sheffield in 1840 to set up separate businesses as pork butchers in Sheffield.  They also had two Hiller first cousins (Henry & George) who did the same thing twenty years earlier in about 1820, possibly as early as 1817.  This second George was my 3rd great-grandfather.  As was the custom at the time, immigrants from Germany anglicised their first names so following them can be tricky!  My George was born on November 4th 1799 also in Kunzelsau, Germany as Georg Christian Hiller.  These four cousins did a very clever thing!  They all worked in Germany as poor pork butchers, supplementing their incomes by working as innkeepers at night.  They recognised that the industrial revolution was kicking off faster in the UK so they migrated to Sheffield and all set up separate businesses as pork butchers.  They recognised that meat in the UK was for the rich and pork butchery was a rare thing in the UK.  It was the first time that the steel workers of Sheffield were able to afford meat as the Hillers could process pork meat into sausages and other cheaper products.  Their sausages became quite famous and they exported them into the lucrative London market.  This is how they got rich!  One of the Hillers (can't remember which one) turned down inheritances in favour of their poorer female sisters/cousins still living in Germany.  Going back to Louis, he married Frances Armitage, known as Fanny, on September 27th 1835 in Sheffield.

Jon ffrench thanks for the information.I know Kunselsau very well Hillsboro sent me a book on German Pork Butchers in Britain and one of them was actually an ancestor of a friend who lives in Untermasholderbach and he called his cousin who was directly related to him and we had a get together and i passed the book to him he was overjoyed with it all. I also knew an Armitage family from Wadsley village which was near to Wisewood where Fanny came from I wonder if this is the same family they had a wool shop in the village around 1960.

Edited by bullerboY