Long Term Back Problem

I'm after any help or advise you can offer.

I've suffered lower back pain for well over 10 years. It's as though my lower muscles just can't or won't relax. It's as though there locked solid. I've spent hundreds on physiotherapy, chiropractors and acupuncture but nothing's ever changed. I went down the NHS route and had scans etc but eventually they washed their hands of me. Any ideas? It's beginning to affect my life now

I go here:

http://www.stillpointpractice.com/

and see Raewyn Morrison for sessions of Orthobionomy

http://www.stillpointpractice.com/people/raewyn-morrison/ortho-bionomy-raewyn-morrison

I have found it really works for my back pain, which is caused by muscle tension through misalignment in my case.

Its not cheap, but I find it very effective.

I've had a dodgy back for a few years & this year it's been particularly bad, especially the last couple of months.

I was advised to take up pilates & have found that it really does help. After a class my back seems less painful & it's helpful to strengthen my muscles which in turn protects my back. So it's win win.

I suggest you look into a good class somewhere - not one at a gym as I find that the classes are too large & cater for too many levels. You want a small class where the leader can really see whether or not you're doing it right.

There's no harm in giving it a go & you might be surprised by the results.

Good luck.

have you tried taking glucosamine? I am sure it's helped me.

have you tried taking glucosamine? I am sure it's helped me.

I suffer from severe back pain occasionally and can hardly move sometimes but its due to osteoarthritis of the lower spine. I was told about glucosamine but according to my Doctor glucosamine works as a placebo only and has no real effect.

But if you feel its helping then fine.

i also suffer with osteoarthritis of the spine and the only thing the doctor has ever done or suggested is to take the medication he gives for that, but over time i have found the effects wear off and it was not long before i was on the high dosage pain killers. i dont recommend that at all. so i did take the herbal route and i have found that taking glacosomine, and eating oily fish has helped a lot.

The other thing I would suggest is that you try a TENS machine. When I was in loads of pain about a month ago (taking 11 painkillers a day) I tried using one for half an hour a couple of hours a day. It really did seem to ease the pain for a while.

And dont forget a heated wheatbag as well.

Not that you are a racehorse, but my brother-in-law was a vet, and he had a patient who could not finish races. No apparent cause. He dosed it with glucosamine, and not only did it finish races, it won them too. I do not believe it is placebo, and it certainly works for me.

** doctors find it hard to acknowledge that alternative therapies help in many cases.

Edited by smithy266
addition.

Swimming, replacing the chair with a rocking chair, walking lots - anything to keep moving really helps. Staying still seems to make it much worse very quickly.

It sounds to me like the OP is describing muscular pain, but we'd really need a bit more detail to be sure of that. Like, what type of pain? Acute, sharp, pain? A burning sensation? A dull ache? and where does it eminate from and spread to?

If this was pain relating to bone or cartilage, like a slipped or protruding disc, the pain would be acute and may also radiate down one leg (sciatica). That's not to say that the original cause wasn't a back strain affecting the spine or discs. Back muscles will go into spasm to protect any damage to the discs - but if this is long term then it's unlikely the muscles have remained in spasm all this time.

We'd need to know when the pain occurs? Is it at certain times of day or night, or whilst doing certain activities? Or is it there all the time? But if so, is it worse at some times than others? Is there anything that the OP is doing that seems to ease or worsen it? How about the OP's occupation - is that in some way contributing to the problem?

Can the pain be traced back to a single incident maybe? Whilst lifting? Following exercise? On waking?

The first thing really is to play detective and try and understand the circumstances which may have led to the development of the pain. Because this can help with treatment.

It could be related to the development of osteo-arthritis. If that's the case then the OP should seek proper medical advice and drug treatment may be necessary.

The jury is pretty much out in terms of glucosamine btw. It has been the subject of much debate because there are so many different variants of it and the studies used to evaluate it have been poorly conducted in the main. In other words, few of the studies that evaluate it have been worthy of producing meaningful statistics. What we do know is that it is not as effective, in a proper clinically evaluable situation, as other prescription medicines that are available for this condition. However, you cannot dismiss that it may bring benefit for some individuals - so, it may be worth a shot?

From what is described here I think that physiotherapy may well be worth another go. Pilates is not a bad shout either. If it's about a lack of suppleness in the muscles then exercises that involving stretching and massaging the area should help. Some physio's also offer ultrasound and acupuncture which may be of benefit. It sounds like the OP has tried some of this already without much effect - which is why I think it may be related to the development of osteo-arthritis - but I could be totally wrong.

Two other things...both questions for the OP...

Have you changed the mattress on your bed in recent years? (Do you turn it regularly?) Did you invest in a reasonable quality mattress, preferably with pocket-springing? We spend most of our time in bed and if your mattress is poor quality or simply worn out that won't be helping matters much at all. Some folks are happy to spend thousands on a flat-screen telly, but only want to spend a fraction of that on a mattress. I know which I think is more important.

How about when you are sitting at work? Be it in a car seat or a chair at a desk. Have you ever had your posture checked to make sure that you are 'ergonomically' correct? Sitting with poor posture in a chair all day, if indeed that's what you do, won't help either.

One further suggestion...

Yoga?

Perhaps you need to strengthen your back muscles?

I have been bouldering at the climbing works for a few months now - very hard at the start but stick with it and it soon makes you pretty strong and you will be able to progress beyond the basic routes.

You have to do an introduction course but then you can go and climb when you like.

They run an adult improver course on Weds and Fri nights which is free (other than the entry cost) and is well worth doing as you can learn the basics and meet other people just staring out.

I too for many years suffered from lower back pain (I blame lifting small children in and out of car seats) but the climbing has definitely alleviated it...

Perhaps you need to strengthen your back muscles?

I have been bouldering at the climbing works for a few months now - very hard at the start but stick with it and it soon makes you pretty strong and you will be able to progress beyond the basic routes.

You have to do an introduction course but then you can go and climb when you like.

They run an adult improver course on Weds and Fri nights which is free (other than the entry cost) and is well worth doing as you can learn the basics and meet other people just staring out.

I too for many years suffered from lower back pain (I blame lifting small children in and out of car seats) but the climbing has definitely alleviated it...

and then you got married and had kids?:)