Thinking of buying a KINDLE - help please

A Kindle is much cheaper than books depending on what you want to read.

There is a thing called Project Gutenberg which has 36000 free ebooks for Kindle.

There are many other places you can get books for free, but unlike Gutenberg many of them wont be legal.

That's what I hope. A lot of people seem to be jumping on the Kindle bandwagon though. I'm sure they're great for people that get through loads of throwaway novels but I reckon a lot of people have been convinced it's something they 'need' to have or keep up the Joneses:suspect:

I love books and I love my Kindle. I travel a lot and I'm a fast reader; the Kindle means I always have something to read on trains/planes while still travelling light.

A Kindle is much cheaper than books depending on what you want to read.

There is a thing called Project Gutenberg which has 36000 free ebooks for Kindle.

There are many other places you can get books for free, but unlike Gutenberg many of them wont be legal.

But unlike a real book, you can't pass a Kindle book on to friends and family when you've finished it!

And again it comes down to the number of books you read - you can get new books cheap online and at discount book stores. OK - maybe not latest releases but don't think they're ultra cheap on Kindle either. And of course you can cheap secondhand books. All without the outlay for a Kindle.

But unlike a real book, you can't pass a Kindle book on to friends and family when you've finished it!

And again it comes down to the number of books you read - you can get new books cheap online and at discount book stores. OK - maybe not latest releases but don't think they're ultra cheap on Kindle either. And of course you can cheap secondhand books. All without the outlay for a Kindle.

I do know many people who pass books along but, they're mainly women who are circulating their romance novels, so I have no need to share anyway lol.

I think many people forget about their library as well.

Unfortunately I think Kindle books on Amazon are not actually cheaper than the physical book.

Only the reader can decide the pros and cons for them.

For me I don't really care what book I read so a Kindle is perfect because I can choose from thousands of free books, but if you want the top new best sellers then, you'll pay the RRP to get it legally.

Edited by Forumosaurus

I do know many people who pass books along but, they're mainly women who are circulating their romance novels, so I have no need to share anyway lol.

Of course, women only read Mills & Boon :roll:

I'd rather have real book than a Kindle any day. I love the smell and feel of a brand new book. And also love finding a bargain, interesting book in secondhand or charity shops.

I am a Luddite and proud of it:thumbsup:

Good thing you don't use the internet then.

Yes, you can. You can loan Kindle books to other users for 14 days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

ElasticMan

thanks for that information i never knew that was possible, when i have enjoyed a certain book I tell my kindle friends to download the sample and they all do the same for me. I bet amongst the 200 or so that are stored on my kindle there are some that are eligable to share.Thanks again fabgirl.

ElasticMan

thanks for that information i never knew that was possible, when i have enjoyed a certain book I tell my kindle friends to download the sample and they all do the same for me. I bet amongst the 200 or so that are stored on my kindle there are some that are eligable to share.Thanks again fabgirl.

They only get 2 weeks to read it though, but still, its not bad!

So thinking of buying the new Kindle HDX but how many GB .I want to use it for reading and films not gaming and of course surfing the web . How do I assess whether to buy the 16GB or the 32 GB . I'm not very tech savvy . I understand there is no way to add GB so I don't want to get it wrong ,neither do i want to spend an extra £40 for something that isn't necessary. I suppose I will store photos as well . Thanks in advance for any advice :)

So thinking of buying the new Kindle HDX but how many GB .I want to use it for reading and films not gaming and of course surfing the web . How do I assess whether to buy the 16GB or the 32 GB . I'm not very tech savvy . I understand there is no way to add GB so I don't want to get it wrong ,neither do i want to spend an extra £40 for something that isn't necessary. I suppose I will store photos as well . Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Do yourself a favour, spend the forty quid, if you want to watch films on it it will be worth it.