Thinking of buying a KINDLE - help please

If you don't like Amazon, then a kindle isn't for you.

it isn't compatible with other formats.

Sorry, but that's not the case. I have a Kindle and, thanks to Calibre, I have lots of books that did not come from Amazon.

Had one/two over 12 months and its brilliant. Downside is I left my 1st one on a bus in Cambodia so had to buy another when I came back, (not worth claiming off hol insurance cos of having to stand 1st £50. What I didnt know was that all the books I had stored on it was just transferred straight over to my new one, no charge and done for me.

I take the thing everywhere with me, so light and easy to use and usually charge it once every 2/3 weeks.

I havent got the 3G version as I just order online at Amazon and download off my wi fi. I have never been desperate enough when out to order a book there and then to read

A brand new book just released will be similar price to new hardbook price in Asda/Tesco. Loads of books free to try and tempt you so if you want others from the same author will have to pay, but usually fairly cheap. I have discovered several new authors and less than a £1 for a book is quite common.

Edited by ESs6
added few more bits

Kindle mmmm libraries closing all over the place and there all buying kindle supporting the

deletion of books wild hey.

Sorry, but that is simply nonsense. Libraries have been floundering for the past 2 decades (at least), and the Kindle has only been around a couple of years. If anything the ability to carry multiple books around in one small package - or even read them on a touchscreen phone via an app - is making more people take to reading. Having a load of the classics of literature available for free, and there for you to read at your leisure without wondering what happened to the ripped pages, can only be a good thing.

But, hey, feel free to throw your sabot into the machinery all you like.

you dont necessarily need to connect your kindle to the internet. You can download books to your pc and transfer then accross by a cable that comes with your kindle. The books are more expensive as you pay vat on kindle books. However you can read them not only on your kindle but on the apple kindle app as well as your pc.

I absolutly love my kindle I have had it for over a year now. My mum and I have both registered our kindles to the same account so we can share books and split the cost. The customer dervice is brill. When we went abroad earlier this year I got a free ten day trail to the daily mail news paper. Its a great investment. I have read many books now by authors I would never usually read.

Go on get one. Fabgirl.

isnt the kindle bad for your eyes? give you headaches etc?

reading from the kindle is same as reading a book due to the technology it uses. It isn't backlit so you cannot read it in the dark. i have never had a headache from reading mine. I think if you read books from a backlit ebook reader it would def cause eye strain and headaches.

A lot of books are 99cents on Kindle, whereas they'd be thick end of a tenner in hard.

I'd rather have real book than a Kindle any day. I love the smell and feel of a brand new book. And also love finding a bargain, interesting book in secondhand or charity shops.

I am a Luddite and proud of it:thumbsup:

I'd rather have real book than a Kindle any day. I love the smell and feel of a brand new book. And also love finding a bargain, interesting book in secondhand or charity shops.

I am a Luddite and proud of it:thumbsup:

As I understand it, it's not a one or the other issue; you can still buy books when you own a Kindle.

As I understand it, it's not a one or the other issue; you can still buy books when you own a Kindle.

That's what I hope. A lot of people seem to be jumping on the Kindle bandwagon though. I'm sure they're great for people that get through loads of throwaway novels but I reckon a lot of people have been convinced it's something they 'need' to have or keep up the Joneses:suspect: