Bad driving sheffield

What gets me mad are people that let you reverse 150 yards up a road which is double parked, carefully avoiding the parked cars either side, just so they can have access, then park and don't even thank you for what you have just done! It's the rudeness that gets me, my pet hate is pulling over or letting someone out without a thank you, it's just common courtesy.:rant:

Oh, not forgetting those who insist on driving whilst chatting on their mobiles, now that really makes me angry:rant:

How do folks drive and text?

I once saw a young lady putting makeup on whilst driving.

a white transit van guy swerved across two lanes of traffic the other morning - wondering if he was drunk / tired, I went by cautiously and as I drew level saw that he was texting !!! once past, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw him swerving into the gutter and then back across two lanes :o

If I may respectfully add a foot note to cyclists.... please please....

wear light coloured clothing and make sure your lights work - Last night I noticed a cyclist who was dressed in black (dark clothing) and had a nice light.. sadly though his mudguard was in front of the light. Driving through nether edge on those quite dark roads it was difficult to see him.

Secondly when you see a car at a set of lights and the flow (arrows on ground) directing traffic to to turn left. Please please dont undertake on the left hand side - cos those cars that have their indicators on will no doubt be turning left and not everyone checks for being undertaken by checking the left hand mirror.

And as for cyclists who go through red lights - what are you thinking its not good to do that..

Please stay out of hospital - dont expect drivers to be 100% safe and please think about your actions too, car drivers are humans who sometimes make mistakes. Please lets all have a safe holiday period !

Edited by srtaylo0

Please please dont undertake on the left hand side - cos those cars that have their indicators on will no doubt be turning left and not everyone checks for being undertaken by checking the left hand mirror.

Bad driving everywhere, but you can't blame pedestrians / cyclists for poor drivers ... poor drivers should go back to driving school.

Bad driving everywhere, but you can't blame pedestrians / cyclists for poor drivers ... poor drivers should go back to driving school.

sorry I didn't articulate my point clear enough - my point being we all make mistakes now and then and we cannot expect other road users to be perfect all the time - we all make mistakes - drivers, pedestrians, bike riders.. It s not about being poor its about defensive driving - expecting people to make mistakes cos they do...

I'm not perfect and I'll bet everyone who reads this post isn't either... all im asking is for people to be safe !

I'm not aware that driving standards are deteriorating - I think they've always been similarly bad.

The big difference in driving now, compared to when I was learning some years ago, is that there is far more traffic on the road to contend with. Which I suppose makes the chances of errors and accidents greater than before.

QUOTE]

Rubbish!!

Driving standards are alot worse now than they ever were before,and its due to bad attitude and its rife and getting worse as its left unchecked.

If drivers acted like they do in their cars out of them they wouldnt last 2 minutes but they wouldnt dare!

They don't catch people "a couple" of mph over the limit. Prosecutions normally start at 10% + 2mph over the limit according to Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Guidance. That's 35 in a 30. Remember that your speedo is also probably around 10% optimistic, so a drivers speedo would be showing at least 38 before you hit the prosecution level.

A speedo is no indication of dangerous driving,nor is it a tool of safe driving.When its stops being used as such then we will all be safer.

Most accident occur WITHIN the speed limits and by slow drivers.

sorry I didn't articulate my point clear enough - my point being we all make mistakes now and then and we cannot expect other road users to be perfect all the time - we all make mistakes - drivers, pedestrians, bike riders.. It s not about being poor its about defensive driving - expecting people to make mistakes cos they do...

I'm not perfect and I'll bet everyone who reads this post isn't either... all im asking is for people to be safe !

oh yes, sorry, I agree with that - we all need to have our wits about us at all times and do as much as we can personally to remain safe

Bang on the money. Cars have to have a "fitness" test to be on the road, so should the drivers!

There should also be a maximum number of times that you can take your test. 5 fails -> pedestrian for life.

I definitely think people should be retested, I've always said they should be. People shouldn't have a problem with it happening if they're confident they're capable of driving.. Plus it'd make people refresh their knowledge of the highway code etc, which changes all the time. Like simple things like indicating to go around a parked car, which shouldn't be done now but people used to and therefore still do.

I agree with a maximum amount of times you should be able to take the test, but a lot of people do pass first time purely on luck sometimes.

I failed twice because my nerves in test situations completely get the better of me and I turn into a wreck, I didn't do anything dangerous but just made stupid mistakes. But I was always told I was a really good driver and picked it up really well.. I'm not driving at the moment because I can't afford it but because it's been over a year, there's no way I'm getting in a car without a few 'lessons' just as a refresher thing, I don't want the thought of killing someone because I forgot something or whatever.

A speedo is no indication of dangerous driving,nor is it a tool of safe driving.When its stops being used as such then we will all be safer.

But, there have to be rules.

I'm sure they do, but the consequences of impacts at a slighly higher speed are much higher, hence the emphasis on speed.

There are a growing number of people who think that speeds are too high, particularly in urban areas, hence the very popular 20's plenty campaign.

What a rediculous assertion. Just because an accident takes place within the speed limit for the road, that is no indiction that speed played no part in the accident. Inappropriate speed is most certainly a major cause of accidents and for the most part will be commited by drivers who, I would wager, consider their skills above average and who would scoff at the idea of being called a 'Slow Driver'.

Take a look at this link -http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/13/1362.asp I've deliberately picked an anti speed camera website so I can't be accused of cherry picking information.

According to the website, which quotes a Dept. of Transport report

the most common factors contributing to road accidents, in order, are:

•Failed to look properly

•Failed to judge other persons path/speed

•Careless, reckless or in a hurry

•Poor turn/maneuver

•Loss of control

•Going too fast for conditions (but under the posted limit)

•Pedestrian failed to look properly

•Following too close

•Sudden braking

Nowhere on that list does it say that slow drivers were behind 'most' accidents. Infact of the above list at least 4 causes are unlikely to be attributed to slow drivers.

The same data also shows that speed is

a contributory factor in 26 per cent of fatal accidents and these accidents accounted for 28 per cent of all fatalities (793 deaths).

Back to my favourite topic, so apologies for repeating myself - of those who would have us all be re-tested or refreshed, how many have actually volunteered themselves for Advanced training, refresher defensive training or a brush-up on anything they feel unsure about (parking, motorways)?

Very few, I guess.

My point is, as always, that drivers always volunteer everyone else for such training/re-testing.

How many read up on driving (Driving: the essential skills, Mind Driving, Highway Code?) Very few despite the fact that driving is the most dangerous thing they do. Instead, they rely on the skill level that got them through a test of minimum competence (the L-test).