Sign in to follow this  

Value washing powder

To save money on shopping, is the cheapest washing powder, Sainsburys Basics etc. any good or is it false economy and not wash clothes as well?

Basic washing powder works. There are also concentrated alternatives, more expensive on the face of it but often in a longer-lasting pack (because lower usage): the sort that launderettes themselves use. No, I don't know if one's better value than the other.

But I seriously doubt that 'branded' types of non-concentrated powder are better than 'generic' types.

Basic washing powder works. There are also concentrated alternatives, more expensive on the face of it but often in a longer-lasting pack (because lower usage): the sort that launderettes themselves use. No, I don't know if one's better value than the other.

But I seriously doubt that 'branded' types of non-concentrated powder are better than 'generic' types.

One thing that has put me off is hearing that value powders have more 'fillers' in them which can clog up the washing machine. Not sure if that's true though.

I'm not bothered about the powder having a strong smell though as long as it cleans properly.

'Fillers' may well be true. The same is so for most medicines and tablets, inc. those on prescription.

I'd avoid the Value range, but have no problem with the own brand stuff from the supermarkets.

I'd avoid the Value range, but have no problem with the own brand stuff from the supermarkets.

Same here, or I look out for reduced branded packets

Guest sibon
Cheap powder makes me itch.

Bio, or non bio?

Even expensive bio powder makes me itch.

I have started to use Morrisons own cheapest liquid in the white bottle ( I originally bought it just to wash pet bedding in) I have found that for a good result I need to use half as much again but at about a pound a bottle I find it really good.

I also love Tesco sensitive fabric conditioner at a pound a bottle it really makes washing smell nice and it softens well too, but again I use half as much again.

I always used to swear by the expensive brands but its really well worth trying the cheaper ones, I have been quite impressed.

Edited by Moonbird

We've used Asda brand for years now and it's better than the brand makes in our opinion. (This isn't a royal we, I mean me and the wife). Plus she's allergic to Persil and a couple of the brand ones anyway.

Non-main brand is often better in my view, and saves loads.

Example - we used to think Felix and Whiskas would be the best cat food, until our cat had an allergy to them. The vet told us to look at what makes them up. Awful stuff. 4% meat. 4%. The rest is additives, and the meat is basically, according to the tin, "meat and animal derivatives". Abbatoir scrapings then. Nice.

Asda's own cat food - a third of the price, and 90% pure meat/fish. No allergies and saved a fortune.

Brands are popular because they're well known, not always because they're the best.

We've used Asda brand for years now and it's better than the brand makes in our opinion. (This isn't a royal we, I mean me and the wife). Plus she's allergic to Persil and a couple of the brand ones anyway.

Non-main brand is often better in my view, and saves loads.

Example - we used to think Felix and Whiskas would be the best cat food, until our cat had an allergy to them. The vet told us to look at what makes them up. Awful stuff. 4% meat. 4%. The rest is additives, and the meat is basically, according to the tin, "meat and animal derivatives". Abbatoir scrapings then. Nice.

Asda's own cat food - a third of the price, and 90% pure meat/fish. No allergies and saved a fortune.

Brands are popular because they're well known, not always because they're the best.

A bit off topic I suppose but that is a really good tip as I have a cat with allergies and we really cannot find what he's allergic to, I will definitely try the Asda food, hopefully it might save him steroid injections several times a year, fingers crossed anyway...cheers Moosey :thumbsup:

Bio, or non bio?

Even expensive bio powder makes me itch.

Non bio. I only use Fairy powder now.