The Sci fi and fantasy films take over.

In my callow youth the Western adventures, the war film and the musical were the block buster movies at the pictures, now it all seems to be Sci Fi or fantasy films.

Personally I've always been a big fan of both Sci Fi & Fantasy from being a kid, in book form, I go so far back I even remember having a magazine were the man in the picture on the front was driving his space ship with a steering wheel !!!

But I was always bitterly disappointed with the special effects in films, they were more likely to cause laughter than admiration.

When it came to suspending belief I was pretty good, but even I wasn't that good.

Then came the incredible advances in film technology and what a difference that has made.

For me "Star wars" was the turning point and from then on all the western type adventures and war films gradually started to take place in a different dimension or a Galaxy far far away, and the enemies became Evil Magicians or Aliens..

Magic.....

So what I'd like to know is how long before we get the musical ? ...

Edited by grinder

To be honest I'm surprised Star Wars the musical hasn't already happened, they're already making it into every concievanle format ever.. They're releasing all 6 films in 3D next year starting with Episode 1 in February.

I think the big space opera's are out of fashion again, IMO this year was Zombies and alien invasions.

Rich.

If they do, miming to the Darth Vader singing part is going to be a doddle...;)

Edited by grinder

I think the big space opera's are out of fashion again,
:(

Wish some reputable Director would take this on (a trilogy would do plenty, tbh) and do it justice sometime soon...would put SW to shame for content/scale/story arcs.

IMO this year was Zombies and alien invasions.
What?!? It's not even started yet! Between Pitts' Wold War Z adaptation and Scott's Prometheus, next year should be a good'un :thumbsup:

:(

Wish some reputable Director would take this on (a trilogy would do plenty, tbh) and do it justice sometime soon...would put SW to shame for content/scale/story arcs.

What?!? It's not even started yet! Between Pitts' Wold War Z adaptation and Scott's Prometheus, next year should be a good'un :thumbsup:

I am so waiting for World War Z, I memorised the Zombie survival guide a few years ago.

What about The Rocky Horror Picture Show? That's a musical with aliens, spaceships and a Frankensteinian type creature.

Max.

Well spotted that man, but it's got to be a very tenuous link ..

Trying to remember the name of a series of Sci Fi books I read a couple of years back that I thought would make a great film.

It was about this guy and his wife who put their names down to join the Space Cor. but you had to be over 75 or something before you could trigger the option to become a full member and be sent into deep space.

Any sort of medical or physical problem was not a barrier, but none of the elderly people who went knew what was going to happen to them, because no one ever came back.

After his wife died he gave every thing to his kids and went...

Any body know the names of books I'm on about, or should I now be on the Sci Fi book Forum or some thing ?

Edited by grinder

Hi Grinder,

The series of books you mentioned sounds very much like 'An old man's war' by John Scalzi, the three sequels were called ‘The Ghost Brigades’, ‘The Last Colony’ and ‘Zoe’s Tale.'

Some good news for you, apparently a film may be in production soon: CLICK HERE for more info.

Thanks Mantaspook,

That's the one and that's great news, I thought the whole concept of the story line was fabulous and I hope they make it...

Mind you at my time of life I would like the idea wouldn't I.....

Any further news about a follow up to "The Golden compass" yet, or has that one dropped off the edge ?

Edited by grinder

Any further news about a follow up to "The Golden compass" yet, or has that one dropped off the edge ?

Whilst some will try to tell you that they were canned because of poor box office, the film grossed over $370 million at the box office, on a $160 million budget, which makes it a success (in Hollywood terms, a film has to make back twice the budget to be a success).

However, the pressure from the right wing Christian groups and senators who lambasted the books and the film, due to the religious aspects, apparently scared off New Line Cinema who put the sequels 'on indefinite hold'. Given that the second and third books become extremely controversial, and delve more into the existence of 'sin' and 'God', you can understand why New Line dropped it quick.

A shame really as I felt the film did a reasonable job of translating the first book to screen (even with the tweaked ending).