What was it like living in Kelvin Flats?

Great pictures Pete. What I can't get over is how MASSIVE the flats seem. They dominate the area a lot more than I recall. Those terraces on Upperthorpe look tiny in comparison. I'd be really interested to the opions of anyone who was living in the area when the flats were built - how did you regard Kelvin?

I lived on Kelvin on Edith Walk back in the late 80's.

Believe it or not I was burgled from the outside!

Went away with friends for the weekend, came home and the place was a tip, no not the burgler I just wasn't very tidy:D . It wasn't until I sat for a while I realised stuff was missing, including my beloved suede tassle jacket.

reported it to the police but no joy. Was in the post office at netherthorpe some days later when man in front of me was blatantly wearing my jacket :o cashing his giro.

Furious with rage and feeling like I was in the Bill I demanded that the teller inform me the name of this villan. In total breach of dpa she let me covertly see the giro with name and address on it. His balcony was next door to mine!:mad:

So I gave chase and followed said cretin to his fiddle job in a petrol station in town. Called the police who then arrested him and as I could identify jacket with bad red cotton used to sew up a ripped inside pocket he was charged with handling stolen goods. :clap:

Oh and the benefits bobbies got him too! :D

Turns out they accessed my house by doing spiderman moves on the outside of the flats and got in through a chink in the window I had left open in the kitchen which was by the balcony.

Apart from that and the odd suicide I loved my short time on Kelvin. :cool:

And those milk hatches were really useful aswell :D

Originally posted by roughy101

i remember in the 80s reading in the sheffield star about an old lady who was beaten with a chair or table leg,and later died,sadly i cant remember the old ladies name,i am sure someone will post the her name,its funny how people forget .

think her name was elsie,murdered by one of the twins...i lived on there for 9 years,it was ok. never had any bother, knew fetish fairy from on there when she was just fetish:thumbsup: the youngsters used to play on the landings whilst the mothers took turns looking after them, it was a good comunity in a lot of ways

sad to see it go as i had many friends on there

For a woman on her own, it was very scary and had its moments so thankfully I didnt stay that long.