Allergic to cats - Any advice?

One of my OH's kids has developed an allergy to our cat :(

He comes out in a rash and becomes very wheezy. Its been getting worse over the year, and has now got to the point where he can't come in the house.

Waiting for him to see the GP, but do any of you have any advice about what treatment has worked well for you?

One of my OH's kids has developed an allergy to our cat :(

He comes out in a rash and becomes very wheezy. Its been getting worse over the year, and has now got to the point where he can't come in the house.

Waiting for him to see the GP, but do any of you have any advice about what treatment has worked well for you?

The only thing that works for me is making sure that the house I go to is very clean, I do not touch the cat and sit in a room where the cat is not allowed. Otherwise I get blisters on my eyes and cannot breath which it is really uncomfortable.

I refuse to go to some friends houses if they are not spotless as they are too catty for me!

Petalcleanse has had some good reviews amongst friends who have allergy issues, but there are a whole load of other things you could do that may help.

Obviously vacuum cleaning is essential (not suggesting that you don't already do that), but a simple thing like following after the vacuum with a steam cleaner should help to break down the allergens in the soft furnishings and carpets. Air deionisers and vaporisers also help with reducing the amount of fur particles in the air.

You can also help reduce the amount of hair that the cat sheds into your home by getting a Furminator which you run over the cat on a regular basis to remove loads of undercoat and all the loose topcoat that is in the fur, which should reduce the work that the other things have to do.

If all other things still don't reduce the symptoms, you can supplement all of the above with an antihistamine if it is safe and appropriate for the child.

I hope you find a way to reduce the problems that he's struggling with :)

i am allergic to cats and dogs myself although i have 3 dogs and a cat , if i take piriton hay faver and allergy tablets daily im fine otherwise i get red blotches and shortness of breath , these tablets work well for me

I'm fairly sure the allergy is actually with the dust that is left from the cat cleaning, so giving thr cat a frequent wipe with a damp cloth is meant to help

Thanks for all the advice.

From that and from advice elsewhere on the net I plan to:

Thoroughly vacuum and steam clean the house.

Furminate and petalcleanse the cat.

Restrict the cats access to certain places.

Take child to GP. He's already on salbutemol inhalers and over the counter piriton, will see if the GP has any other ideas.

I have less of a problem visiting the inlaws since she bought a Sebo vacuum cleaner. The cat actually likes being vac'ed with it too :hihi:

Top tip for Piriton purchase - order the 500 tab tubs from the pharmacist. I think it costs about the same as 60 in bubble packs

I have less of a problem visiting the inlaws since she bought a Sebo vacuum cleaner. The cat actually likes being vac'ed with it too :hihi:

Top tip for Piriton purchase - order the 500 tab tubs from the pharmacist. I think it costs about the same as 60 in bubble packs

I didn't realise you could buy Piriton in bulk - even at the hospital where I work they're supplied to the ward in generic blister packs of around 16 tablets! No wonder the NHS is in the state its in!

Unfortunately I don't think I can run to a new vacuum, I have a Dyson Animal already which I plan to change the filters on.

If these measures don't work I'll have to look into something different.

I have severe allergies to cats but still manage to have 4 of my own. Limit soft furnishings (have wooden floors and blinds rather than carpet and curtains), damp dust and hoover daily (hoover with a hepa filter) and get him to take piriton before he visits. A steroid inhaler will also help if he's asthmatic, it keeps inflammation down rather than treating the inflammation when it happens (which is what the blue ones do). The more time he spends with the cat the less sensitive he will be to it, so rather than avoiding it, get him to spend more and more time with it (obviously have antihistamines first and monitor his health throughout the contact). Desensitization does work, when i go on hols I'm really bad for a week on my return, but then I'm fine again once I've built up my contact. Other people's cats kill me!!

Edited by smudge74

Thanks Smudge, the problems started earlier this year after he got scratched by her. It's got progressively worse since then and he was very poorly last time he came.

We were relying on the piriton, but it now seems that's not enough.

just a word of hope. when my friend got her dog some years ago i found i couldn't go to visit her without needing my inhaler (blue one) and i'd come out in a rash on my hands and arms (where i'd cuddled the dog - just couldn't resist her) and eyes swelled up. without the help of anything other than my usual asthma medication (the brown one) i've gradually been better and better with the dog. she now comes to my house to stay quite regularly and we sleep cuddled up in bed together. no sign of a problem.

i don't know why - i still have asthma. and i'm not saying it will work this way for everyone. but i thought it worth sharing just to say its possible things will settle down for you all.