Kelham Island - Victorian Christmas Market

Thought I would take the family down this afternoon - What a waste of time. It was about as Victorian as Debenhams.

Still at least the £4 each to get in might go towards improving next years.

I went to this a couple of years ago and was sorely disappointed. :( It was like being at a fancy dress car boot sale! :hihi:

my kids go to rivelin school, and there was a flyer for this with the letters home on friday - entry reduced to £3.

managed to avoid going...glad i did by the sound of it!!

Me & family had a great time.

Granma.

Went with my dad today and went with my mum last year - I know what you mean, but I went around more with my mum lst year cos we were at least happy to look at stalls and buy a few Chrissie bits. Dad's more into the whole history thing and we spent ages up on the new mezzanine floor looking at the massive OS map of what the area used to look like. Proper father-daughter thing going on there :) We also saw the River Don Engine in action, which was more than we saw last year, but yes, it's a bit samey and I'm not sure it's worth the 4 quid entry fee.

Do they always charge an entry fee, or is it just for the Xmas market and if so, as a museum, why do they charge at all? Just curious.

I thought it was pretty good myself. £4 for adults and free for kids. It is more of a fete than a market. I would have preferred a ticket for the Lane Saturday.

Would go again.:thumbsup:

I go every year and think £4 is very reasonable. It includes entry to the museum and all of the entertinment that is on for two days - sword dancing, mummers plays, clog dancing, choral groups etc.

There's about 40 stalls, hot chestnuts, mulled wine, kids entertainment and the famous River Don Steam Engine. I personally think it's a great day out for all the family.

They charged the normal museum entry fee, but had the added attraction of the market.

Went to the big Christmas market at Lincoln myself....

Lincoln market - how did you rate? Heard it is a bit of a nightmare to park?:confused:

Went last 2 years in a row and was p*ssed off that I couldn't make it this year.

Well worth the entry fee and a different way to spend a December weekend.

Wonder if the woman who lied about other people's ingredients to flog her own cosmetics was there this year?

I've been the last couple of years, and found it great.

Something different, and a decent cause too - Kelham are doing a good job celebrating Sheffield's industrial heritage, and should be given all the support we can.

We had no idea there was a 'Fayre', and the sight of victorian clad "heritidge" workers with dreads and mobiles clamped to their ear made us laugh. Parking was 'a problem', and the museum was packed to the gunnels.

But worth it to see the don engine alone. Awe-Inspiring.